• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Irregular Poop?

River

Warren Scout
Oz is about 5/6 months old. He gets unlimited Timothy Hay, he also gets pellets, carrots, carrot stems, parsley, cilantro, lettuce, or other veggies every day. He drinks plenty of water and gets plenty of run around time. But his poo's are not the same.

Some are little round hard balls, some are really tiny and squishy. Some are twice the size of regular poos and squishy, some are odd shaped and very squishy, not not the kind he's supposed to eat.

I'm just wondering why? He poops lots so he's not constipated or anything, but am I giving him too much of something, or not enough of something, because I'm fairly certain this isn't normal?

Hi. Looking at the diet it could be the lettuce, that doesn't agree with some buns so I would take that out until the funny poo goes away. Carrots are high in sugar so these could also be the culprit. How many pellets are you feeding a day? If buns get too many pellets or the particular brand doesn't agree with them that can also be the cause.

I would say that quanity or barnd is the most likely things to cause it so you could try just feeding hay until his poos are normal then feed just a dessertspoon full of pellets a day and see if that has any effect. If not ok gradually swap to a different brand and see if there is any improvement. Once the pellets are ok add one new veggie each day and see if any of the veggies are upsetting his tummy.

Hope that helps.

That's a good point, I'll start cutting back and re-introducing things. He gets a small bowl of pellets a day, half a cup maybe. It's probably the lettuce or carrots im thinking. Thanks so much!

That's a good point, I'll start cutting back and re-introducing things. He gets a small bowl of pellets a day, half a cup maybe. It's probably the lettuce or carrots im thinking. Thanks so much!

Half a cup is still quite a lot of pellets. My pair of dwarf lops get 1 small handfull (about 15 pellets that are about 1cm in diameter) between them per day. Anymore gives them funny poo.

Back