• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites again !

the bunny girl

Warren Scout
I just dont seem to get rid of these little :censored: Daz has them again ! I ivomeced him on the 25th oct and 7th nov so why are they coming back ? I need to phone the vet in the morning to get some antibiotic again too it looks like his ears have puss inside :evil:

It is harder to tell with my bun because he still has some dried up puss inside from the last time but i always check inside his ears now and i can see that there is more of the yellow gunk inside . I tried to clean them last time but that is a no no it only made matters worse ;)

http://www.mybunny.org/info/mites.pdf

He may need some topical antibiotics perhaps if there is secondary infection or if it is a primary infection rather than mites at all?

I thought Ivermectin should be given in 3 doses to break the lifecycle of the mite (well for Cheyletiella mites - fur mites anyway) - perhaps ear mite life cycles can be broken in 2 doses. Maybe a third dose this time if there are definitely mites would be prudent?

Back