• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please need urgent advice

Sparkles

Young Bun
Hello.

My 7 month old rabbit Oscar has suddenly become "ill". He has been fine all day, active and eating etc.

I came into the room about 15 mins ago and he was lying down looking a bit limp. I went over to him and tried to stroke him but he didnt want to move. Eventually he did but he was sort of dragging his legs. His breathing seems really fast and his head is shaking,

I forced him to move to see if he could use his legs and he did one hop then just lay down.

I am really upset and dont know whats wrong with him :(

Hello - sorry to hear your bunny is poorly. It sounds like he needs to see a vet urgently ie. tonight. Gut stasis is a real possibility and he could be in a lot of pain. Please phone your emergency vet and take him in ASAP.

Thankfully he has juststarted to "hop" around and started eating his dinner. I think hes injured his back leg....he often jumps all over the bed and sometimes misjudges. It seems like hes having trouble using it properly but he is def using it.

He is perky and his heart rate has gone back to normal.

Could it be that he had been racing around, had a fall and has strained it?

Thankfully he has juststarted to "hop" around and started eating his dinner. I think hes injured his back leg....he often jumps all over the bed and sometimes misjudges. It seems like hes having trouble using it properly but he is def using it.

He is perky and his heart rate has gone back to normal.

Could it be that he had been racing around, had a fall and has strained it?
Could be yes.Glad he is hopping around and eating,he may need to see the vet tomorrow though for some pain relief.

this could be the case but i would still get him to a vet asap he could have suffered a siezure or have ec which is acting up(though i would have expected symptoms to persist) has he been vaccinated against vhd? also wondering if he could prehaps have had gass in his stomach which may have now cleared? i woudl get to a vet to get him checked out tonihgt if possible though if he is normal again then tommorrow would probebly be ook.

Glad to hear he's perked up a bit. It's a good sign if he's eating but I would get him checked out by the vet just to be on the safe side.

Thankyou for all the advice. He has had his vaccinations and lives in my room.

He seems lively now but i am pritty sure now its his left back foot he has hurt. He can use it but just not quite right. I am going to see about ringing my vet and see what they say just incase hes in pain (although judging by the way hes throwing his toys around he seems normal again!).

I think hes was in shock a bit from hurting it and thats why he was lying there shaking.

Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Would he be so active if he had broken it a bone? I assumed if he was using it and moving around it wouldnt be broken.

He is so hyper when he jumps all around the room. He often misjudges the jump onto the bed and ive thought many times i hope he dnt hurt himself. Do you think he shouldnt be allowed the room to run in like that from now on or is this something that could happen in any setup? :(

Timmy was after initially dragging his legs because he broke the inside of his pelvis that isn't weight bearing. If it were me I would give him cage rest for the night and get him checkied out in the morning. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

I am def going to get him checked just incase. He has improved a lot tonight though and is now jumping between the shelves in his cage with a carrot in his mouth! The little monkey has finished it off as i typed this out hehe :)

I was going to try get an emergency visit tonight but since he has been jumping around his cage and eating fine i think ill be okay to just take him into tomorrow. I would assume that if he was in pain he wouldnt want to eat and race around like he is. I will keep checking on him in the night just to be sure though.

Think i will make him some steps up to the bed to encourage him to be more sensible next time!

any news?

we bought doggy steps a few years back..but i think either kleeneze or betterware sell a generic version for £20..theyre plastic framed steps with a soft fleecy slightly padded cover..perfect for frenchies perfect for little buns..perfect for stoopid cats!!

I missed this the other day. I hope your bun is better now.
If he was mine I would treat for E.c. with panacur or lapizole for 28 days, just in case that was behind the 'leg dragging' :)

Back