• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question on neutered male rabbits?

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I have a 7mth old neutered male called snowy he was neutered about 2mths ago but it hasn't changed him much he still runs circles round you and tries to hump your arm and I even caught him spraying alittle bit.
Is this normal?
Thanks

Sometimes behaviours can continue once a rabbit has been neutered, especially in males if they were already humping and spreying before the op. It may settle down with time but the hormones are meant to settle after 6 - 8 weeks which is why they reccommend getting it done before they start showing these behaviours. Hope he calms down soon!! :)

I had both my boys done about 3 weeks ago, but know it can take a couple of months for hormones to totally die down. Mine were really quite norty and hormonal before the op and I was also told that some behaviour if learnt may not ever go away! I have been VERY lucky though and they have both been totally transformed. I guess all bunnies are different though and it might just take longer for your little man to settle down. Good luck :wave:

i have just had rexy done this week, and i am praying he is going to chill a bit........ he scent marks absolutly everything , he sprays too, and nibbles my husband:lol:, he is such a smelly little man and he is only 15 wks old

Ooooh my little male nearly 6 months isn't neutered but, doesn't do that - thankfully - I don't suppose he would start if I get him neutered would he?:shock:

I have seen in dogs and mice that male neutering does not always calm sexual behaviour. I have a feeling its not necessarily driven by hormones alone but perhaps by habit in some animals. For example if they were particularly overt in this type of behaviour before the neuter they may be less likely for the neuter to subdue the behaviour.

I had Louie done a few weeks ago at 16 weeks old. I hadn't had any spraying from him but he used to run in circles round the cat.

He still does it :roll:

Back