• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'Horn' on rabbit's penis

I hope that the swelling will resolve soon. It must be so sore for him. I am glad that you are now seeing a more Rabbit Savvy Vet. Hope the Gabapentin is of some benefit regarding his spinal discomfort. If the spinal problem becomes a chronic issues you might want to ask the Vet if they offer Laser Therapy as a complementary treatment alongside analgesia. It has been beneficial for some of my arthritic Rabbits. I use it for myself too. Acupuncture is another complementary therapy that can be beneficial for some chronic pain conditions, although not all Rabbits will tolerate it. Also, not all Vets support its use. It’s just another option to bear in mind :)

https://rabbits.life/cold-laser-therapy-for-rabbits/

https://www.capontreevets.co.uk/acupuncture

Thanks InspectorMorse, I'll bear that in mind. I'm still hopeful that the issues are caused by whatever was stuck in his genitals but time will tell. He's had a play out in the garden tonight and eaten some fresh grass. I've cuddled with him and he's got a clean hutch with lots of herbs to forage for so he's a happy bunny 🐰 x

Perhaps giving extra fluids would dilute his pee and cause him less irritation until the swelling subsides? Having him pee more may also help to flush bacteria or sludge.
Others may be able to suggest a cream you can apply to soothe his inflamed area, I know some are not bunny safe. Sending more vibes.

He does have a decent amount of green veg and I wet them through with fresh water too. The vet advised using a massager/electric toothbrush against his bladder to get the sludge moving!

As adding cream would involve pulling back his foreskin I'm tempted to leave it at the moment for fear of hurting him and introducing infection. It's such a difficult one to know if you're doing the right thing!

Thanks for you advice and thoughts 🙂 x

Only just seen this thread but, years ago, my rabbit had similar on her genitals and it was Vent disease.

Hope he improves very soon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lily thanks for highlighting this, I've never heard of vent disease, it looks terrible in the pictures, poor buns 😔.
He's probably over 5 years old and has never had sexual intercourse so could it still be possible to contract it?
They did remove something from his penis on Saturday (possibly hay?) so I am hoping that is the cause, fingers crossed 🤞

Thanks for you well wishes 🙂 xx

Hi Lily thanks for highlighting this, I've never heard of vent disease, it looks terrible in the pictures, poor buns ��.
He's probably over 5 years old and has never had sexual intercourse so could it still be possible to contract it?
They did remove something from his penis on Saturday (possibly hay?) so I am hoping that is the cause, fingers crossed ��

Thanks for you well wishes �� xx

Vent disease is Treponematosis, which I mentioned in a previous post. It is also known as ‘Rabbit Syphillis’. The image you posted doesn’t look like any cases of Vent Disease I have seen though, but that’s not to say it’s not a possibility.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

He does have a decent amount of green veg and I wet them through with fresh water too. The vet advised using a massager/electric toothbrush against his bladder to get the sludge moving!

As adding cream would involve pulling back his foreskin I'm tempted to leave it at the moment for fear of hurting him and introducing infection. It's such a difficult one to know if you're doing the right thing!

Thanks for you advice and thoughts �� x

That makes sense.

Back