• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding neutered male with unspayed female?

astera

New Kit
Hi, looking for some advice!

I'm a new bunny mum and have recently adopted my lovely boy Casper. He is around a year old and is booked to be neutered in August.

I was hoping to get him a friend as soon as possible (probably around October), so am looking for some help...

I would be looking to get a female bun, was hoping for a baby (over 8 weeks) but it means she wouldn't be spayed yet. Of course, I would book her in for spaying as soon as she is old enough to be.

In the meantime, am I likely to have luck bonding a neutered male with a young unspayed female? Anyone got any advice?

I know it would probably be easier to get a spayed adult female from a shelter but I don't have any nearby, Casper was adopted through a pet shop rehoming programme and I may not be so lucky to find a spayed female at the same place.

Any advice much appreciated :D

If you wait approx 8 weeks post neuter his hormones will calm down and you should be able to introduce a young female. The only issue would be when her own hormones kick in, this could upset the bond but not always guaranteed to happen. The alternative would be to keep them separate until they're both neutered and then introduce them.

Everything should work fine the way you have described it. The only problem could be mis-sexing the young Rabbit and finishing up with a boy, but with luck it should be ok!

Back