• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor bertie..after two years looks like his abscess is back

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( about two years ago bertie had some black on his chin..upon checkingit we found there to be a lump. we tokk him to our vet who was a brill bunvet...andshe actualy opened it there and then and squeezed the pus out and cleaned it out and gave him antibxshots...and orla stuff and he had to go back every few days and was on painkillers etc.

after about a month or so.he got the all clear..but rob then said..they do have a nasty habit of coming back..keep watch.
well after being on here for so many posts id read on cysts and abscesses i was a bit confused. his cleared up so fast and didnt come back.

in fact i was saying to mum yesterday i cant belive its bene about 2 maybe 2 and a half years nowsince his abscess....and no reoccurrence. i jinxed it didnt i:cry:

i have an appointment with a locum vet..my vets on hols theyre a vet down in one area as hes gone to be with hiswife having a baby....and th eothers well the recpetionist said theyre few on the gournd so to speak.
i want to cancel but i odnt know what my options are if i cant see a vet tonite....

ive decided to take him to this woman who ive had a run in before...and hope and if not happy ill ask for a second opinion whenevr they can fit me in at the animal hosptial they have.

its 6pm his appointment...and i know deep in my heart thats its tooth related..his fur under past the double chin is wet..and the chin signifies tooth root or jaw abcess i know only too well after losing little capser earlier this year.

im trying to stay storng and positive but back then i hadnt had any experience with abscesses especially teeth related ones....after capser i know a lot more than i should do...like all of us whove had buns with it...and im feeling sick already.

ive taken immodium etc etc as my ibs is kicking in from worry.

please please send vibes for bertie..its so unfair..he only recently got the all clear after fighting corneal ulcers since february..poor boy.

i look at bif and think..oh no...if its bad news for bertie...what will happen..how long will he have..how will she cope..and will he pass before she does...either way they cant live without each other again ever.

oh gods im so scared......:cry:

thank you so much.

vet says somethings wrong the skins very much thickened..its also sore looking all over...and his side of his mouth looks sore. shes given him oral baytrilas a precaution and told me to apply dermisol twice daily. cept i gotta go back 2 moro as dimwit thought she had some left at home..but cant bloomin well find it aaarghhhh.:oops:

hes eating ok but his tummys not right....so i got a tube of fibreplex and will add the bio lapis i have stored up in their water.

i wish my vet or mark had been there..but i will keep watch..fingers crossed hell be alright! i hope.

Aww sweetie I am thinking of you and Bertie.
Keep us updated and be sure to give him lots of tlc and reasurence.

Sorry to read about Bertie :( Keeping fingers and paws crossed here for some good news from your vet and hoping they can make him better :) x

thank you hun..its not easy seeing him so bad tempered and off.....his eye fiasco was bad enough.
what anoyed me the msot is she didnt even check his teth..hes eating fine so she said oh not his teeth then...i said ahem actually my dental doe maages fine up until the need for burring the spurs are pretty desperate for her. but she only checked his inscisors..and i was tempted to yell at her..ive had a bunny with a tooth root abscess before oyu know.....:censored:

i will treat him all week and make an appointment for ellen next week....if shes still away ill insist on seeing another vet at the hospital.....

i hate being shoved off like i was.

Back