• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimi is not eating as much as I would like

stampz

Warren Scout
Morning all,

little bit of a dilemma...Mimi does not seem to be eating as much as she should, as I think she is starting to lose weight because of it.

She doesnt have teeth problems or anything, and when dinner is served up she starts to eat but then just seems to get "bored" and loses interest...she is still picking at hay etc throughout the day, but just not as much as she used to.

I have tried feeding her seperatly to Lola, but she still loses interest...

Food hasnt changed at all, and she is as eager as ever when you first server it up, but after eating a few pellets as I say she loses interest...

Any ideas why this may be?

Please take her to a vet, this happend to Eclipse and within a month he died :( they did blood tests and everything but they all came back ok...we didnt get the chance to try new treatments with him. Good luck x

Is she eating plenty of hay and veg? buns should only have an egg cup of pellets a day.

But I agree, take her to the vets and get her checked out,just cos her teeth were fine in the past doesn't mean they will be now, esp if eating has gone down hill generally

If you think she is loosing weight it would be an idea to get a weight so you have a baseline to compare things to. If she has been weighed before by the vets you can use this weight to compare what she has actually lost and over what time scale.

I know that you say she does not have any dental problems, but how long ago were they checked? And using what method of checking. It only takes a poorly positioned spur piercing the tongue or the cheek to stop them eating. This then potentially will result in a slowing of the gut and then lots of ongoig issues until the cause is found and treated.

If you get your rabbit checked out by an experienced vet you can find out the problem and get your rabbit better before they deteriorate or get too run down.

Don't worry I am planning on taking her to the vet, she has had spurs before, but they were removed, and when she had her vaccs recently she was checked and all appeared fine.

As I said she doesnt seem to be "off" her food, she will stuff happily munch down her treats etc and goes crazy for them, is just as active as ever. Last time she stopped eating due to the spurs it was very obvious, you could see she wasnt happy, she seems to be perfectly happy now, it's hard to explain really.

She will be taken to the vet and checked though, always better safe than sorry, I was just wandering weather the hot weather/malting etc can lead to strange behaviour

Back