• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Picture of poo!

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi

I have a bun called Bella, who has molar malocclusion and needed a dental on the 24th April. She was seen by the vet last sat (16th May) and her teeth were checked and they are fine, she has also put on weight which is great.

I am a little worried about the size difference of their poos though.

P1000895-1.jpg

Bella's poo's are on the left and Charlie's are on the right. Bella's poos haven't changed in size since last saturday and she is eating well and seems ok.

I know that a possible indication of dental problems is smaller poos. Do these look ok?
I have become a very paranoid bunny mum!

Last edited:
Although Bella's poos are on the small side they are not dark and they look to be full of fibrous matter. They may be 'normal' for her.
Just keep a check that they dont decrease in size or quantity
Is she eating lots of hay and not filling up on pellets then just nibbling hay now and again?
Does she have a water bowl or a bottle? Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl and this can help improve gut motility.
All my Dental Buns have water bowls rather than bottles.

Although Bella's poos are on the small side they are not dark and they look to be full of fibrous matter. They may be 'normal' for her.
Is she eating lots of hay and not filling up on pellets then just nibbling hay now and again?
Does she have a water bowl or a bottle? Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl and this can help improve gut motility.

Sorry to crash, but for a few days in a row Frodo had small, dark poos. I have noticed this morning that his poos are more like his normal ones, large and gold, but what does this mean?. I had'nt fed him anything different to what he normally has.:?

Thanks Jane :)

They both drink from a bowl rather than a bottle. I feed her a tablespoonful of pellets a day (not heaped) but tomorrow I'm going to cut it down to a teaspoon to encourage her to eat more hay.

I haven't yet found a hay that they go mad for tbh, I have tried Dustfree, Oxbow Timothy, Brome and Orchard grass, Burns green oat, Burns Mountain grass and Alfalfa King Oat Wheat and Barley. I also bought a bale from Chapmans but they won't even nibble that so I'm using it to line the litter trays. I'm feeding them Dustfree stalky hay and Oat, Wheat and Barley at the minute. I think I need to try proper farm hay and see if they like that best.

Buns are so stressful!

Sorry to crash, but for a few days in a row Frodo had small, dark poos. I have noticed this morning that his poos are more like his normal ones, large and gold, but what does this mean?. I had'nt fed him anything different to what he normally has.:?

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like he wasn't eating as much hay as usual in the days when his poo was small and dark. I would pop him along to the vet for a teeth checkup if you are worried.

why? where's the Science behind this?

What if the poo is dark but big?

Hi :)

I have changed the wording on my original post to read...'I know that a possible indication of dental problems is smaller poos.'

I am no expert on rabbits, but I thought that a sign of reduced gut motility was smaller poos and that this can be caused by dental problems amongst other things :? My vet says that 90% of stasis problems she sees in rabbits are due to dental problems.

I'm guessing that if a rabbit's mouth is sore, they will eat less and therefore the poos will get smaller and it's an indication that things aren't right and something you should look out for.

If there is a change in poo size/ quantity/ colour. Then I think you need to find out why. I'm guessing if you haven't changed the rabbits diet and their poos become dark and big then that means they aren't filling up on hay but are selectively eating other things like pellets/veg?

Back