• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

buttons not well

stevey1983

Young Bun
Hi, my rabbit buttons is not very well, his not eating or drinking and he is just sleeping (normally he is running around playing with his toys or watching what everyone else is doing) his just sat behind the sofa. I took him to the vet this morning and they gave him a injection to get him to eat and we got some liquid food, just wondered if anyone had any advise to get him to eat and move around, ive tried all his favorite foods but his not intreasted. Would stress cause him to act like this? as he was neutered last week but he was fine afterwards but when i took him for the week checkup yesterday there were a few dogs in the waiting room so dont know if that freaked him out? they also applied rear gaurd to him yesterday, would that make him tired and loose his appitie?

Thanks for your help

Was your Rabbit given any pain relief ?

Yes, stress can cause GI stasis and it is possible that he has had a bad reaction to the Rearguard.

i think he was, when i picked him up after the operation i asked if he needed anything for the pain and the vet said that he should be fine, and he was fine for the week, he was quiet for the night after the operation but the next day he was eating and drinking and running around, its just since his checkup yesterday that his suddenly changed :cry:

i think he was, when i picked him up after the operation i asked if he needed anything for the pain and the vet said that he should be fine, and he was fine for the week, he was quiet for the night after the operation but the next day he was eating and drinking and running around, its just since his checkup yesterday that his suddenly changed :cry:

No, I mean was he given pain relief today
If he has tummy pain he wont eat.

they applied reargaurd so he doesnt get flystrike, no they just gave him a injection to get him to eat and gave us some antibiotics (Baytril) to give to him through a syringe, and they gave us some poweder food (Supreme Recorery Rabbits)

sorry didn't explain enough , i know its to stop flystrike but why did they do it now ? Did you see him lick the area after it was applied . I have had trouble with one of my rabbits not eating right and all i did was try all different veg and fruit . Has he had a dental exam ?

they just said they can apply it 1 week after his operation, yeah his been licking at it, its impossible to stop him as his always grooming himself. They checked his teeth at the same time i took him in for the operation and they said they were fine, ive tried different veg and he did eat a bit of banana but hasnt touched anything else, if i put it infront of him he just picks it up and throws it to the side. He has just come out and done a little poo in his tray but now his gone back behind the sofa

I would suggest you read up on stasis, just so you know how to recognise and prevent it if it happens again.
And if your bunny is an indoor bunny, and is kept in nice clean conditions, and is young healthy and cleans himself well, he is very unlikely to get fly-strike.
As it seems he doesn't get on with rear guard, I would avoid it unless it becomes necessary.

This is one of my bunnies .. also called Buttons!
Bild0298.jpg

Last edited:
he lives outside, but if one of us is at home then he comes in, i like to let him have a free run around as much as possible, he is very clean though he spends about 90% of the time grooming himself. Your bunny is cute :D

Back