• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Q's about dental tomorrow

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Bubbles is having some molar spurs burred tomorrow under GA. It's a long while since I had a bunny with dentals and I don't remember him being affected much afterwards :oops: apart from the obvious effects from the GA.

Sooooo - is Bubbles likely to be in pain tomorrow from her teeth? Do I need to make sure she's been given pain relief and will she need any special help with food? Mushy pellets, grated veg etc? How soon afterwards can I expect her to be eating hay again?

I would make sure that you are given some pain relief to administer for the first couple of days. It may not be needed and Bubbles may eat normally straight away. But if he has any soft tissue damage in his mouth (from the spurs) this will take a while to heal and in the meantime will be sore. Also, the proceedure itself can disturb the root innervation and make his teeth feel 'sensitive'. A bit like if we are over vigorous with the Dental floss!!
Some Buns eat 'normal' food straight away. Some need softer food for 24-48 hours.

You'll need to monitor his poo output which may be reduced for the first 24 hours but should quickly return to normal. If he is an outdoor Bun he'll need to be indoors overnight after the GA (in a non centrally heated room)

Good luck :)

One of mine was done a few months back and he had no damage to his mouth and so ate straight away when he got home. Good luck. Pam

*whispers* Jane, Bubbles is a girl. :oops::lol:

Thank you for all the info; it's very helpful. :love: Thank you to Pam too, that's very encouraging. I shall play it by ear tomorrow then. :):)

No more advice than has already been given. I just try to make sure there are lots of things to tempt e.g. herbs, kale, grated carrot etc after a GA or if they are under the weather.

You may also want to get and X-ray done whilst under GA so you can get a cull picture of the condition of his teeth.

Good luck.

Back