• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enlarged Liver/Tumour

binkygirl2013

Young Bun
Sorry for the long post but just after some advice;) My 8 year old rabbit Roxy has frequently had tummy issues from being a baby. Over the years she has had numerous vet visits for tummy pain/stasis but there have also been occasions where I have caught it early and given her pain relief at home which has been successful. About a month ago after she had been fine all day I noticed her fast breathing and her nose twitching really fast, it was like a stress breathing like they do at the vets rather than mouth breathing. I gave her an extra dose of Metacam (she has a 0.5ml dose daily for arthritis anyway) which calmed her down but the next day she was doing it again so I took her to the vet. The vet said she had spurs on her teeth and she was booked in for a dental and told to give her 2 doses of metacam per day. A couple of days later she was back to her normal self and it made me feel whether she did actually need a dental so on the day of the op I asked if they would check her teeth again which they did and agreed to postpone the op for now. I also reduced the metacam back down to her 1 daily dose. She's been fine ever since until last week I noticed the strange breathing again. I made another appointment and an appointment was made for her to be xrayed. In the meantime I have upped her metacam to 2 daily doses again and the last few days she's been back to her normal self. She has been in today for her xrays and the vet said there was a shadow in the liver area which could either be an enlarged liver or a mass. She's had bloods taken and all were fine and they agreed everything is working as it should be and her arthritis hasn't progressed. They also did a little tidy up on her teeth.The vet said its going to be a case of pain management Vs quality of life. I'm to keep her on 2 doses of 0.5ml metacam per day and they've given me tramadol to give in the event of any funny breathing episodes again.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has any experience of this. I feel I might need to speak to the vet again as I didn't really take it all in but I was wondering if given that she has frequently had stasis/tummy issues over the years if it has all been connected and she does have an enlarged liver rather than a tumour? Or would she not have made it to the grand old age of 8 if that were the case?

Any advice/experiences would be welcomed :)

Sorry, I can't help but I hope your post will be picked up by someone with more knowledge.

Fast breathing can occur due to pain which in this case seems likely given it resolved after analgesia has been given

An enlarged liver can occur after periods of anorexia - hepatic lipidosis AKA Fatty Liver Disease, and also after long term use of Meloxicam ( Metacam ) . Examples of other possible causes are Liver Lobe torsion, Hepatic Coccidiosis , the Eimeria Stiedae species of coccidia

Given that you say the Liver enzymes are OK ( as shown in blood test results) the next step might be an ultrasound of the liver, which provides more details than an X-ray, and a Liver biopsy.

Is Roxy spayed ? Is she maintaining her weight ?

Thank you for the replies.

Yes Roxy was spayed at 6month old. She is maintaining her weight and has always been around the 2.4kg mark. The vet mentioned an ultrasound yesterday but said it wouldn't give any answers, all it shows is there's something there but not what it is. I did wonder about fatty liver disease as she did have a few days of reduced eating last week....although she still nibbled at hay and didn't stop eating completely, there was definitely a reduction compared to her normal eating habits. It was probably over the weekend that she picked up so how long after a period of anorexia would an enlarged liver show on an xray?

My vet is rabbit savvy and I do trust their judgement but I just felt it sounded a bit final....pain management till her quality of life is impacted and that was it.

Thank you for the replies.

Yes Roxy was spayed at 6month old. She is maintaining her weight and has always been around the 2.4kg mark. The vet mentioned an ultrasound yesterday but said it wouldn't give any answers, all it shows is there's something there but not what it is. I did wonder about fatty liver disease as she did have a few days of reduced eating last week....although she still nibbled at hay and didn't stop eating completely, there was definitely a reduction compared to her normal eating habits. It was probably over the weekend that she picked up so how long after a period of anorexia would an enlarged liver show on an xray?

My vet is rabbit savvy and I do trust their judgement but I just felt it sounded a bit final....pain management till her quality of life is impacted and that was it.

An U/S guided Liver Biopsy might give the most reliable information. But if her Liver enzymes are OK atm and she is maintaining her weight then the Vet might feel this to be too extreme. I would discuss things in more detail with your Vet.

Thank you, yes I feel I might need to discuss further. She was very wobbly last night after the anaesthetic. I hadn't seen her like that before....she has been under twice before and has always recovered well. I personally think they may have discharged her too early but it worried me how out if it she was so I'd be very reluctant to put her under again unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you, yes I feel I might need to discuss further. She was very wobbly last night after the anaesthetic. I hadn't seen her like that before....she has been under twice before and has always recovered well. I personally think they may have discharged her too early but it worried me how out if it she was so I'd be very reluctant to put her under again unless absolutely necessary.

Let the Vet know as if she were to require further GAs a different drug protocol might be used. Not all Vets give fluid therapy after a GA and in older Rabbits this can mean a slower recovery.

Back