• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poo...again

little_blue_bug

Warren Scout
sorry to have to bring up the subject of poo, but being a bunny newbie (or at least 7 or 8 years since we had a family bun and now im on my own) its better to be safe then sorry.

dylans poo's are mostly normal, quite solid little balls - to the point where they could be confused with the pellets i feed him. but then every now and again (and usually on my carpet) he does a 'wetter' kind of poo, still in balls but a more milk chocolate colour and very easy to squash. is this bad?

his diet is as follows....

morning ..... several chunks of carrot (his fave so he has it every day) then either a piece of brocolli, a piece of cauli, a few dandilion leaves or a cabbage leave

evening....a handfull of pellets

he has a constant supply of hay and usually has one or two chocolate drops when he has been good :)

am i doing something wrong, or should i be concerened :?

oooh and just to add he is still acting normally, flopping and rolling on the floor to get comfy, millions of binkies etc

Last edited:
Just wondered whether he was really young and that's why he was having trouble with his tum!

You do seem to be giving him a lot of carrot though, which is comparatively sugary and can upset the gut flora. Try to cut down the greens a bit and increase his hay intake if you can. Then build up the greens slowly, trying to include variety and carrot only as a treat!

It's often an excessive quantity of pellets that causes tum problems ... but if he only has a handful on an evening then that's probably not it. Would leave out the chocolate drops too :oops:

The wet squashy poos are caecotrophs - they eat most of these and re digest them ( i know - yuk!) and if he is leaving some it suggests he is getting too much protein. this would come from the pellets and the veg. try cutting both of these down slightly to the level where he is not leaving behind any more caecotrophs. I agree about the chocolate drops too - not good for bunnies I'm afraid. I have a really greedy rabbit who is always begging for treats so I sometimes reward her with bits of herbs or blackberry leaves - she appreciates them and doesnt seem to think she's missing out. :)

I love how we get bunnies and end up obsessively monitoring their poo :rolleyes:

Back