• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syphilis - all better now

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I have been going back and forth to the vets as Gus has had scabs/swelling/redness around his genitals which has spead to his chin, so after weeks of baytril and cream I saw the good vet today, who said it was Syphylis :shock: When we got sweetpea she had similar symptoms, Eve at the rescue said it looked like syphilis but the vets totally dismissed the idea. So today Gus and Sweetpea both had penicilin injections and I have to go back in a few days for more.

Has anyone got experience of this, or of penicilin? I have some fibreplex for them.

Last edited:
My Tinkerbell had Syphillis when we got her. The garden center said it was a skin tag :roll:

Anyway, she had a single penicillin jab, it went away but then came back. She then had a course of 3, over a 3 week period and so far, we have gone nearly 2 years without it coming back.

Our Herbie had syphilis last year. He only had the lesions around his mouth tho. These started to lessen after his first penicillin jab and had cleared by the third.

Touchwood, it has not reappeared :D

I am sure Gus will be fine and recover quickly now he is getting the right treatment.

Vanessa xx

My two have had it. Vets tried treating Douglas for months with fuciderm and baytril, but didn't believe that I thought it was syphyllis until Desmond ended up with it on his nose. They were first treated 3times with penicillin and biolapis, then 2weeks later it was back, so they had another 3weeks worth of injections, Douglas actually had a 4th jab this time, and touch wood, it hasn't been around for 3weeks now!!! Douglas seems to be harbouring bacteria under his foreskin.

Yeah I have had baytril and fuciderm, the first vet laughed when I sugested Syphilis and said I needed to clean them out more often :shock::shock: I have complained! I really hope your buns stay clear of it, and hopefully mine will just need the one course of penicilin.

:wave: have bunnies with that 2! much to the vets amusement when i found out what it was. after a cause of injections it cleared up and only comes back if they are ill.

Hi Louise :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear that, poor little things :(

I hope your vet takes some responsibility (and money off!) for not agreeing with Eve's diagnosis in the first place and treating earlier.

Sending them lots of love and get well vibes, Claire xx

We've had 4 rabbits over the last 8 years that have come through here with syphilis. The good think was that my vet realized what it was in the first case and ordered a bottle of penicillin in. They all only had 3 injections over a 3 week period and as far as I know not one of them have had a recurrence since.

One of the ones that came through here was so bad that I was actually advised by someone to have him pts. As the scabs and yuckiness was all over his face from his eyes down and all over his genitals. He started to clear after the first injection.

Good luck now your on penicillin you should start to see some results.:D

Hi Louise :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear that, poor little things :(

I hope your vet takes some responsibility (and money off!) for not agreeing with Eve's diagnosis in the first place and treating earlier.

Sending them lots of love and get well vibes, Claire xx

Thanks. I have complained about the first vet I saw, as she said it was because I wasn't cleaning them out often enough :evil: The good vet said he won't change me for any further consultations, just for the meds. which is something I suppose.

Yeah I have had baytril and fuciderm, the first vet laughed when I sugested Syphilis and said I needed to clean them out more often :shock::shock: I have complained! I really hope your buns stay clear of it, and hopefully mine will just need the one course of penicilin.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: Vibes for Gus and Sweetpea's bits x

Thanks Hun....I think Gus is fed up at people wanting to see his bits and prodding him about :(

Seemed better this morning, so hopefully on the way to recovery, back to the vets tomorrow :roll:

Thanks. I have complained about the first vet I saw, as she said it was because I wasn't cleaning them out often enough :evil: The good vet said he won't change me for any further consultations, just for the meds. which is something I suppose.

I had the same problem. Spent nearly £100 on treatment that didn't work, when I had asked if it was syphillis in the first place!!! Also, ended up having to have both of them treated as they didn't take me seriously until they both had it!

That's good news that Gus is improving :D

I am sure the penicillin will do the trick - I am sorry it took a while to get the right treatment - but at least Gus is getting it now. My vet wasn't keen on using penicillin either, he shaved all Herbie's fur off and gave him a facial scrub which I never used plus some tests on the facial scabs which all came back negative. This cost me £180! When Herb finally got the penicillin there was an immediate improvement. This was another step in the learning curve for me :?

Best wishes for a rapid recovery,
Vanessa xx

:shock: wow looks like I'm not the only who struggled to get the right treatment, at least I didn't have to payout much and the vet is now just chanrging me for the injections. The good vet I'm seeing said he had oly ever had one other rabbit with Syphylis. Maybe it is often misdiagnosed as the pictures in books are always really extreme cases?

Went for his second jab yesterday and the vets was really pleased with Gus, swelling has gone right down, really seems to be working :)

Went back to the vets today for another penicilin jab, vet was really pleased with them and said he didn't think he'd need to see them again :D :D

Sweetpeas "bits" are completely normal again, I say again but they haven't been normal since I got her!!

Gussys' Chin has healed completely, the area around his bits is back to normal, he just has a sore spot left, which the vet said should go in the next day or two.

Hopefully this will be the end of it and my bunnies may actually like me again :D

Bless them...so glad they've improved so quickly and so well.
They'll be glad to have their bits left alone now I guess:D

Back