• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why feed porridge?

Ida

Warren Scout
I just saw a few picture threads of bunnies eating porridge on the forum. But I don't see why anyone would feed porridge to a bunny? What is it made of? I can't imagine it being good for their digestion?

Nia was given a small tsp of porridge which was mixed with boiling water and left to soak every morning to try to keep her weight up.

Porridge is good for building up and under weight rabbit but your right it shouldn't be fed as part of a regular diet. By porridge people mean (I hope) just plain rolled oats mixed with water, not ready mix or milk :)

Tamsin

Yes..rolled oats mixed with water..no milk, sugar , honey (or just salt if you eat it the traditional way!!)added.:lol:

When I was a child, my rabbit would only eat porridge and he lived to be 10yrs old so it can't be that bad for them;):D

I give my bunnies just the dried oats, that's when they need building up and they love it, I never put water on mine, it also makes their fur really glossy and keeps it in good condition!

My sister's neighbour used to give her rabbit, porridge soaked in black tea, for its supper every night. She claims the bunny lived to be 16.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I use it to bulk up dental and renal failure bunnies. It is VITAL however that the oats are well soaked before feeding so they are fully expanded.....Caspian swelled up like a football after eating some oats that were not fully expanded, they absorbed fluid whilst in his GI tract.

I use hot water on mine, I use to have a reabbit board with me who use to have porridge and peas every night for his supper. On one occasion I had ran out of peas so just gave him his porridge, BIG mistake I had to get David to go to his mums for some as he was thumping and throwing his dish around the hutch until he got his peas on his porridge:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I use hot water on mine, I use to have a reabbit board with me who use to have porridge and peas every night for his supper. On one occasion I had ran out of peas so just gave him his porridge, BIG mistake I had to get David to go to his mums for some as he was thumping and throwing his dish around the hutch until he got his peas on his porridge:lol::lol::lol::lol:

lol Im going to try Misty with some tomorrow...see if she likes it plain and if she doesnt the experiments can begin!! :lol:

I would have thought it was better feeding an underweight or dental bunny critical care so that it got enough fiber and nutrition in it's diet. Or soaked pellets so that it at least got all the vitamins it needs, maybe with hay cut in tiny pices.. That is what I used for my dental bun. I must say I've never heard of feeding porridge before. Am I wrong thinking it is better feeding critical care/soaked pellets with hay?

Back