• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SS pellets - novice owner alert.

jennyp

Warren Scout
Ive introduced SS pettlets to my 2 over the past 3 weeks - i got a sample pack from Pampered Piggies and they loved them- ate everyone of them- so went ahead and bought a normal size bag..They have been leaving probably about half of them each day ( currently feeding 80 grams split into 2 meals - for 2 lionhead x) -

is it that these pellets are more filling than mixes ( when i got them from the rspca they were being fed on a museli type mix- tried suparbbit and they didnt touch it) ? or are they telling me that after their initial enthusiasm they dont like them that much anyway? or am i feding them too much - the bag says they should be having between 60-80 grams a day each?

They are still eating hay etc

Sorry for the longish post and sorry for sounding like a complete novice, just trying to look after them the best that I can? any ideas??

thanks in advance

I think the directions given on the bags are often a bit over generous. What else are they eating? I don't weigh Evo's food, but when he was on SS, he was given just enough to cover the bottom of his bowl.

Hello and welcome! :wave:

I don't know what to suggest really.. my two are on SS pellets too and they'd happily eat an entire bag if they could! :lol: I don't weigh out how much I give them each day, but it's about one big handful between two medium sized rabbits, which covers the bottom of their bowl. How much is 80g in terms of handfuls?

thanks for your speedy replies. In terms of what else they are fed...they have as much hay as they can eat each day and also veg once a day which comprises of a mixture of greens, rocket, parsely, mint, carrot occasionally ( not all at once) . 80grams per day is roughly 3 big handfuls a day....i think im going to drop the amount i feed them and see if they all go

The fact that your rabbits dont eat all the pellets is actually good which means that they are eating other more natural foods including lots of hay. I would not worry as they are good hay eaters, if your buns didnt eat hay and wanted lots of fried food then you have more of a problem.

You are feeding your rabbits on exactly what they should be eating.

I think the directions given on the bags are often a bit over generous.

Absolutely! I did email the SS manufacturers once to ask what size rabbit they had in mind - I didnt get a reply of course...

Anyway the autumn 07 Rabbiting On had this to say from one of it's vets:

* a rabbit's diet should be 70% hay, 28% veg and 2% pellets
* one tablespoon of pellets max per day for rabbits under 3.5kg and two max for rabbits over 3.5kg.

I did actually weigh out a tablespoon's worth of Science Selective and it was about 15g.

All of my buns get SS but will only be given an eggcup full each a day - I think that's plenty. As a result all of mine are hay monsters and luckily, so far I have no teeth problems or sticky bums.

I'd say if they aren't eating it, it's most likely because they don't need it and not because they dont' like it any more. I would personally just remove whatever is left and reduce the amount given.

My 2 bunnies only get 6 pellets each in the morning and 6 in the evening. They don't even need a bowl, as they are hand fed them.

I give mine 70g a day between both of them split into two meals. They happily eat it all and they eat loads of hay too so I think it's fine. I measured out one tablespoon and I was not happy to give them that little amount each day.They love it so much that I'd feel awful if I only gave them that much.

My vet recommends an egg cup per day per rabbit :) I feed about 40g per bun per day. I drop it more in the summer when they're not using as much energy for warmth. As long as they are eating loads of hay, with the veggies as well the pellets are just a top up to make sure they get all their vitamins :)

I give my two a full pot at night and its gone by morning they always have hay and veg too, They always dive into the pot when i fill it, am i feeding them too much??

I give my two a full pot at night and its gone by morning they always have hay and veg too, They always dive into the pot when i fill it, am i feeding them too much??

I would say that every bunny is different so it is up to you whether the amount you feed is appropriate. If your bunnies eat atleast the size of their own body in hay every day, their teeth are in good shape, they are not overweight and their poos are good and green and as big if not bigger than a 5p coin then you may not need to reduce your pellets.

I don't give so much SS because all of the bunnies that I have come from a rescue or have been re-homed so it's likely that their health history is not going to be as good as a bunny that has always been feed correctly since day one.

Keeping the amount of pellets to a minimum ensures less likelyhood of teeth and bottom problems as the bunnies will be forced to eat more hay because they will be more hungry than one fed on a greater amount of pellets.

Hay is hard work and bunnies will always go for pellets or veg before hay given half a chance.

Last edited:
mine always go for the veg first, They always have hay sticking out there moths to. I dont really see them eat the pellets the bowl just magicaly empties itself lol

my buns get an eggcup of pellets a day each - they are all around 2kg. I am very pernickety with their food as sorrel has appalling and incurable dental disease which is quite possibly from not eating enough hay previously.

the other day i weighed out the amount shown on the bag and was horrified, its loads more than i give them - if i gave them that much theyd never have room for any hay. :shock:

Back