• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please need to clean his wounds

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Lionel had a stay at the vets for 8 days because of his abscess, he came home Thurs night the vet showed me how to pick him up and clean the wound and give him his meds, i have to do this twice a day. It was fine on friday morning and evening, he let me pick him up i sat on the floor so he was only ever a few inches off the ground, but today it was a total no go :(
I have tried everything, picking him up in his bed, taking him from his carry case, using a towel, letting him climb on me and nothing has worked i have spent 3 hours trying to get hold of him :( It has not worked so he has gone today without his wound being cleaned and he had to have is meds on some veges.
I am really worried about not getting to the wound today, the vet said if nothing is coming from it then we could just give it a little wipe once a day and luckily it is only the size of a small pea now and has appeared to scab over and nothing is coming out of it however i would still like to check it out, what can i do?
He has kicked and scratched me today, i even bled, i was shaking afterwards and it has done nothing for my confidence either so he can probably sense that as well i guess?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

You have got to be firm with him Im afraid....I could show you some scars from situations like this but I dont let them worry me because it is so important to keep on top of treatment.

I ususally wrap bunny in a towel and sit on the bed with them, offer them some tasty treats to distract them and then focus on the wound. Is there anyone who can helo you? Sometimes I have to get my OH to hold bunny in a towel while I play doctor.

im too well aware what you mean..berties a swine and ive only ever anaged by myself once!! His abscess is under his chin of all places and you cant bunny burrito a frenchie and get to under his chin! but even little buns can be hel to see to...if really stuck is there anyone who can help you hold him..
my old dwarf lop used to get wrapped so tight in a towel and we used to see to herw hwilst she spat and growled on the settee on more towels..but bertie has to go on his back for his bathing.but on my own i couldnt and it was several dabs at hgh speed from under his chin...he nealry had me may times and hes so soft and gentle normally its scary.
i really hope you find a way..one person i was talking to a while back said she used salad tongs or similar with the cotton wool and warm salt water..that way she didnt get bittne whilst bathing..hmm goes off to find bbq tongs!:shock: :lol:

When Maa had an abscess in her eye socket I absolutely couldn't clean it out, so I took her to the vet to have it done instead - much easier as she behaves well at the vets and there's 2 of you to do it - worth the money as I couldn't handle her at all - I think I'd have taken out a bank loan just to avoid doing it :oops: Probably would be OK every 2 or 3 days if you want to do that - My vet just lanced it on the table and squeezed it out no problem.

Thanks everyone.
I called in reinforcements and managed to get him today! My boyfriend distracted him with a nose rub whilst i grabbed a hold of him (i got my winter gloves out and put them on just in case of a struggle lol) so we have a clean abscess packed with honey woohoo :D

Wow you are a hero :p Or maybe I'm just not one :lol: I am a bit of a physical coward I have to say :oops:

Hope it gets better soon :)

Back