• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried ... UPDATED 1/10 18.45h

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
Hoops, our little harlequin cross doe, has developed a couple of 'sore spots' in her ear. Bit crusty and red around them. Only noticed them an hour ago, definitely a recent development, was fine last night. Phoned the on-call vet, as our usual practice is closed now. I'm concerned that it might be an early sign of myxi?? Hoops is, of course, vaccinated (end of May) and otherwise seems absolutely fine.

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid cos of everything I've read on here but should I be worried? The receptionist said there were no appointments this afternoon but spoke to the vet (obviously, not OUR vet) who said that if her eyes weren't affected then it couldn't be myxi...

Advice please!! x

Last edited:
Well i hope to god it is not myxi.

Could it possibly be ear mites? they cause scabs to the ears and make them quite sore, you are best getting them seen to asap though. Pringle had these before, not long after i got him.

Maybe best taking him to a vet to be checked.
Best of luck
xx

Currently keeping a close eye on her and will, of course, take her to vets later if we feel things are getting worse. Just don't want to do emergency vet run if it's nothing.

She had a similar thing on the back of her ear a couple of weeks ago which we showed the vet, but he just though it was a surface wound, probably caused whilst playing with Ant.

On the other hand, couldn't forgive myself if it turned out to be something bad... x

My first thought was mites too - I haven't had a rabbit with myxi for a long time but I dont remember the ears being a sign of it. Fingers crossed for little Hoops Abi, let us know what the vet says.x

Don't want to scare you but thats how my buns started with lumpy rabbit it could be that if your bun is vaccinated. I'd get the bun to the vet asap the soon you start on baytrill the better, good luck

She's absolutely her normal self. The marks in her ears haven't got any worse, so haven't rushed her to emergency vet. Still keeping close eye on her though and will make an appointment for tomorrow, to get her checked out and hopefully put my mind at rest.
Thanks for all the replies folks! x

Update!

:wave: Been to vets with Hoops tonight. He thinks it's just some kind of sore spots on her ear and has prescribed some anti-biotic cream. Put our minds at rest about the dreaded M...
Hopefully that's that sorted! :D

Back