• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanut or runt?

Hangdog

New Kit
My rabbit gave birth unexpectedly last Tuesday. Unfortunately one kit died but we have 2 remaining. One looks a lot smaller than the other, I'm not sure if he is a peanut or just the runt. I think mum is feeding them both although the bigger one has much rounder belly. The smaller one does have more fur though. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• rabbit.png
    rabbit.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 4
  • rabbit2.png
    rabbit2.png
    635 KB · Views: 4
Decades ago my Netherland Dwarf had babies. Some babies were quite a bit smaller than the others, yet they were not peanuts. It is possible the larger babies did not inherit the dwarf gene.

The smaller one isn’t a peanut. You need to weigh the kit daily to check he/she is gaining. Also check that the Doe is producing a good flow of milk with no evidence of mastitis.

Was the Buck still with the Doe when she gave birth? If he was then the Doe is probably pregnant again as a doe is extremely fertile immediately after giving birth.

Back