• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie after bonding advice

mrsb85

New Kit
:wave:Hi Girls i'm wondering if your extensive knowledge could be passed on to me!

bought 2 female rabbits at 5 weeks old who i discovered 3 weeks ago were not so female as i now have 5 baby kits!

I'm thinking that if i cannot find suitable homes for the babies and i will not rehouse to just anyone, then im thinking of keeping them all and trying to bond them all.....

1st question will i need to get them all neutered or just do 1 sex? I currently cant sex them as too young for me....

Im guessing mum and babies will already be bonded but how do i introduce dad back or will it not work as iv heard you shouldnt keep 2 males together?

Thanks in advance

Clare, floss, fluff and the 5 baby bunnies xx

You would need to get them all neutered, as there are issues in only getting one sex done. Un neutered males will harass a neutered female. And if you don't neuter females thay can be at risk of cancers from around 3 yrs. At around 8 weeks you should seperated the kits into male + female. But males shouldn't be kept together, as they will be becoming hormonal, and fights can break out.

As to bonding you have plenty of time to read up on that, if you just type bonding into the forum search that should be LOADS of experiences.

Key to bonding is that all are neutered and had 6-8 weeks for hormones to die down. And also that it is done on neutral territory, that none of the buns have been to before. Dad could be done now, then mum once the kits are 8-10 weeks. then the kits can be done from as early as 4 months, although some vets will wait until 6 months.

Also if you do end up with a large group you may want to consider up grading to a shed/wooden play house with permenantly attached run.

Last edited:
Back