• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to bonding- how do I bond outdoor rabbits

amme

Warren Scout
We are going to be getting a new rabbit once ours is neutered but he lives outside. How would I go about bonding?

you need to bring them inside and bond in a small neutral area,as you might need to spend time sitting/sleeping by them. If your bunny is used to being outside then use a non centrally heated room or turn the heating off.:)

I would keep seperated until both rabbits were neutered and hormones die down. For the most successful bonding everybun has to be neutered and a wait of 6 weeks left before contemplaing bonding. This is to let hormones die down and let everything heal (bunnies heal really quickly, although it is a more invasive op for a female, so they take about 2 weeks to heal)

Once she had recovered from that, I would start with something mutually scarey, for most rabbits its a car ride in the same carry case. Some people swear by it, but I don't have a car so tend not to use it. I have started putting them in a carry case and having a few gentle jogs around the garden or up the stairs.

Bonding has to take place in somewhere neuteral, where none of the rabbits have been before. If that is not available, clean everything with a solution of white vinegar and water to neutarlise the smell. Bonding also has to be in a small space. I tend to use 2ftx4ft, although I ended using 2ftx2ft for the current bond as they just completely avoided each other. I have nothing shared in there (no litter box or toys that can be dominated) and at least one water bottle each.

Make sure you have gardening gloves, a broom and a towel on hand. Have these ready before you put the buns together. All of these are to seperate bunnies without getting your self bitten.

Then it is just finding a time when you are feeling brave and have enough time to supervise them for at least 48 hours. I tend to bond in my bedroom, so I can supervise overnight, and be comfortable, another is the living room and sleep on the couch.

When you put them in together they will hump, chase and fur pull each other to assertain who is dominant and to form a heirarchy.(Autumn, the agouti lop, Was my top bun). You have to take care that they don't lock on to each other, as this is when they cause the most damage.

It is a bit nerve wracking the first few times, just take a deep breathe and go for it. I think knowing your buns personalities is the key. Autumn has always been dominant, and the only bun to attack me for no reason (she used to attack my jeans, before she was neutered!)

Lots of people have different methods I am sure, this is the one that works for me.

Read around this site, and gain as much knowledge as possible, there are so many people more experienced than me.

thats great:D thankyou soooo much. i will have to do that on a weekend then as i work from home in the week. It may be a bit difficult tho as we have a dog so we will have to get a stairgate or something to seperate them or we may have dead rabbits.

Back