• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you worm your rabbits?

Do you worm you rabbit?

• Yes every 3-4 months

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Yes once or twice a year

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • No only when they show any signs of EC

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 45.8%

• Total voters
Hiya :wave:
My bunny had EC 2 and a half years ago, she had severe head tilt and paralyis on one side, she couldn't even stand up. I was told by the vet that there was no way of treating it. It was so awful to see her in that state when she was normally running around being a happy bunny, she was so depressed and confused. I had to have her put to sleep which broke my heart :cry: Then you can imagine how I felt after doing some research and finding that not only could it have been treated, but it may have been possible to prevent it from happening in the first place :(
So now I am in the position of waiting for my new baby buns to arrive, and I say definitely worm them, at least then you know that you've done everything in your power to prevent them getting EC. Hope this helps :)

Question?

How do you administer worming to a bunny who isnt Overly comfortable being handled and i am a novice bunny owner...?

Fee x

Pellets in a bowl, wormer on the pellets. If you have two buns they need to be watched so you can make sure they take the right amount.

This I found to be easier that rabbit wrangling. :lol:

Hmm.... Pellets, that may be a problem, i dont seem to be able to get floppy to eat pellets ... or hay for that matter.... He is overly fussy..?!!,! ...

thanks......:)

Hmm.... Pellets, that may be a problem, i dont seem to be able to get floppy to eat pellets ... or hay for that matter.... He is overly fussy..?!!,! ...

thanks......:)

Try putting it between two basil or mint leaves, it works on my buns most of the time. :wave:

I do a complete parasite control at least once a year. 'Revolution' works great and is safe. It treats mites, fleas,roundworms,pinworms,etc. Really good! But you can only get it from the vet.

The only time i used Panacur was when Amber has suspected EC. My vet, who has done a lot of research into EC was of the opinion that because Panacur is the only thing they use to treat EC (along with the other meds like Baytril and Metacam), there is a risk of buns getting imunne to it. If regularly wormed and then a bun gets EC, there could be a risk the Panacur wouldn't be as effective.

Last edited:
I was doing it four times a year, but new vet said 2 is fine, so I've compromised and doing it 3 times a year - mianly because we have alot of wildlife passing thru our garden, and rupert and tia eat ALOT of grass

Back