• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone grow their own grass for their buns?

Spotty Bun

Warren Scout
I'd really like to start growing my own rabbit friendly food for Milly, unfortunately I don't have a garden for her to mow, but I thought maybe I could grow some grass and maybe some herbs or dandelions in some trays for her. Just wondered if anyone else does this and if so what kind of grass seeds would I need? I'm not the least bit green fingered I'm afraid! :)

:lol:

I grow grass, bramble leaves and dandelion leaves in plant trays outside our front door :oops: The neighbours must think I am mad, growing weeds!! :lol:
I also have some pots of herbs but am waiting for them to start growing.

I brought my grass seeds and dandelion seeds from The Hay Experts.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Gro...ed.395.html?osCsid=g2vbohuj5tu08gop30mibi1v94

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Gro...ds.415.html?osCsid=g2vbohuj5tu08gop30mibi1v94

Make sure you use a suitable soil as well, I use SURESTART SEED AND CUTTING COMPOST. You should be able to find it in a local garden centre.

i put mine into trays the buns loves digging around in them you can get some ready start kits from local pet shops they come in trays too =]

I bought some large seed trays and a roll of turf, put a layer of top soil in the trays and then cut the turf to fit. With plenty of watering, they are growing really well. The buns will have these in their winter run when its too yukky to go out on the grass.

wow thanks guys, what lucky bunnies you have! will have to give it a try i think, especially the dandelions as she loves them! it should also brighten my 'yarden' a bit too!

are the herbs fairly easy to grow? :)

I grow my own in pots, containers and even in the kids old sand pit :) Even though we have a big lawn garden I think it adds variety. I also do some for the guinea pigs they appreciate theirs in the winter.

Here's one of my Rabbits 'Victor Grumps' Investigating his pot

DSCF6109.jpg

I get mine from http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-50g-79-p.asp
They sell them on e-bay too.
:wave:

I am thinking of doing this too because my usual grass and weed picking area in the park is starting to look a bit bare :oops:

What kind of soil is best for this?

I am not green fingered at all either. Is it just a case of pushing the seeds into a pot and watering?

I grow a lot of my own plants. The most successful has definitely been my parsley. I bought a large black pot, planted four seeds in it and watered it every day. When they were about an inch tall I watered it with diluted baby bio every 2 weeks as well as just water every day :) and now the plant is HUGE!

I also grow lettuce (for myself) tomatos, mint, peppermint, Rosemary, carrot (although these haven't been successful as the cat next door keeps digging them up :( very frustrating) and Oragano :). Oh oh and I started watercress but it's growing slowly. And Wheatgrass which seems a little like a waste of time now as it isn't growing well.

I love growing my own things :) it's very rewarding! Good luck! :)

xxx

I just got some cheap grass seeds from wilkos, started it off on the windowsill. They need lots of water. I transplanted some weeds I found in the park in to pots :D

Here's one of my Rabbits 'Victor Grumps' Investigating his pot

DSCF6109.jpg

:wave:

He is gorgeous! Also it's good to know I'm not the only one with a nosy bunny heehee! ;)

I'm feeling very inspired now, a trip to the garden centre may be required this weekend!

It really is addictive!! We live in a flat and I have loads of plants/weeds outside our front door!! :oops:

Can anyone help me with which types of grass seed to buy?

I have just been on ebay and now very confused :oops: I don't know if some are better than others for their little teeths

How about this stuff from Nickys Nursery

Herb Rich Grazing Mixture
10 gram pkt Coverage 1sq/m
A mixture formulated for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs.
A 100% herb rich mixture for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs and contains the following species:- Dandelion, Smooth Hawk beard, Chicory, Greater Plantain, Ribwort, Common Mallow, Dwarf Mallow, Birds-foot-trefoil, Red Clover, White Clover, Common Vetch, Kidney Vetch, Field Bind Weed, Hedge Mustard, Poppy, Sanfoin, and Garlic Mustard.
Sow up to 10gram per sq/m
10 gram pkt £2.90 Add to basket

Maybe someone here can tell from looking at that list whether there's anything bad in there?

That one sounds tasty..... I also found a grass mix containing:

1. Meadow fescue

2. Cocksfoot

3. Sheeps fescue

4. Tall fescue

5. Creeping red fescue

6. Red fescue

7. Timothy grass

Do these sound ok and good for teeth? I have never heard of any apart from timothy :oops:

Rabbit / Guinea Pig Seed Mix 50g
This is a mixture of plants and grasses that your rabbit will love!!!!

Have an endless supply of food available

ALL THE SEEDS I SELL ARE SUITABLE FOR RABBITS TO EAT

24 different plants/grass

Included in this mix

1. Meadow fescue

2. Cocksfoot

3. Sheeps fescue

4. Tall fescue

5. Creeping red fescue

6. Red fescue

7. Timothy grass

8. Dandelion

9. Chickweed

10. Crimson Clover

11. White clover

12. Red clover

13. Aslike clover

14. Chicory

15. Plantain

2. Trefoil

17. Yarrow

18. Shepards Purse

19. Vetch

20. Ladys bedstraw

21. Hedge bedstraw

22. Knapweed

23. Chickweed

24. White Musk Mallow

Price: £3.20

from here (also sold on their e-bay page) click link below

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-50g-79-p.asp

:) :wave:

:wave: I use the Hay Experts 'grow your own' stuff as well :) I cover the top of the pot with mesh so that the buns can snip it off as it gets tall enough but can't destroy it and dig it up.

Photo0202.jpg

Photo0182.jpg

That sounds perfect - thank you! I will buy some that of that tonight, I'm sure they will love it

Rabbit / Guinea Pig Seed Mix 50g
This is a mixture of plants and grasses that your rabbit will love!!!!

Have an endless supply of food available

ALL THE SEEDS I SELL ARE SUITABLE FOR RABBITS TO EAT

24 different plants/grass

Included in this mix

1. Meadow fescue

2. Cocksfoot

3. Sheeps fescue

4. Tall fescue

5. Creeping red fescue

6. Red fescue

7. Timothy grass

8. Dandelion

9. Chickweed

10. Crimson Clover

11. White clover

12. Red clover

13. Aslike clover

14. Chicory

15. Plantain

2. Trefoil

17. Yarrow

18. Shepards Purse

19. Vetch

20. Ladys bedstraw

21. Hedge bedstraw

22. Knapweed

23. Chickweed

24. White Musk Mallow

Price: £3.20

from here (also sold on their e-bay page) click link below

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/rabbit--guinea-pig-seed-mix-50g-79-p.asp

:) :wave:

Brilliant idea! would stop the soil getting flung all over the place by a certain black and white creature...! :D

Back