• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help ive got babies

Dave A 76

Young Bun
hi my wife woke me this morning to tell me the hutch was full of fur and 1 of my rabbits was attacking the other so i went to investigate, i noticed 1 had made a nest so i shut the other 1 out in the run, 1 houir ago babies appeared, so now obviousley i dont have 2 does :D, what do i do now as per caring for the babies, im going to make a new home for the now buck today, but how do i care for the babies i know the mother will feed them but what should i feed the doe ? at the moment they get fed burgess supa rabbit exel hay and have plain water to drink, is this feed ok or do i need to go out and buy different food ?
can you help please?
ps how many babies should i expect from a blue rex doe on her first litter

Ok, your right in thinking that you need to get the buck a new home.
Its not clear from your post whether you have actually done this yet?
But the buck cannot be in with the doe and her babies, so please remove him straight away, if you havent already.

The key is not to touch the nest at all, as this will put the mother off her babies and may even attack them..

As for food im sure that someone will advise you soon.

Ok might be an idea to try and sort out the Buck a hutch to stay in.

Is there shelter in the run with hay etc?, as it is very cold outside :(

Good luck

Ok might be an idea to try and sort out the Buck a hutch to stay in.

Is there shelter in the run with hay etc?, as it is very cold outside :(

Good luck

im in the process of sorting a hutch out for the buck he will have a new house by tea time, is it wise to make sure he can see his mate

I'm not sure from your post exactly what you're feeding them. Do you mean you feed Excel pellets AND hay, or just the excel hay (forage)?

Excel pellets are a good brand to feed a new mum, but she will eat more than she usually does.

Carry on feeding veggies or grass if you feed them normally, but don't start feeding them now if she's not used to them.

I'm not sure from your post exactly what you're feeding them. Do you mean you feed Excel pellets AND hay, or just the excel hay (forage)?

Excel pellets are a good brand to feed a new mum, but she will eat more than she usually does.

Carry on feeding veggies or grass if you feed them normally, but don't start feeding them now if she's not used to them.

the parents which are now seperated were being fed on burgess supa excell nuggets and hay with vegiges and other rabbit treats once a week from the pet shop

im in the process of sorting a hutch out for the buck he will have a new house by tea time, is it wise to make sure he can see his mate

TBH any bunny that has been separated has a chance of having to be rebonded again. I wouldnt worry too much if they cant see each other.

And you now also have to think about speying and neutering the pair so you dont end up with more babies.

another question is the 3 babies i have seen seem big to me but she has definately given birth this morning they are about 4 inch long and about 1 inch across

TBH any bunny that has been separated has a chance of having to be rebonded again. I wouldnt worry too much if they cant see each other.

And you now also have to think about speying and neutering the pair so you dont end up with more babies.

my wife is phoning the vets this afternoon to get him booked in :shock:

rebond how do i go about that, not that i will be doing for a while but id like to know

my wife is phoning the vets this afternoon to get him booked in :shock:

That is very sensible of you.

You may also consider getting the female speyed at some point too, how old is she?
Females have a high risk of developing cancer if they are not speyed.

Bonding takes time, but as they have been bonded it may not be as hard..

there are a few threads on here that may help.. If you type in Bond in the search bar, or bonding, lots of helpful threads will come up..

That is very sensible of you.

You may also consider getting the female speyed at some point too, how old is she?
Females have a high risk of developing cancer if they are not speyed.

Bonding takes time, but as they have been bonded it may not be as hard..

there are a few threads on here that may help.. If you type in Bond in the search bar, or bonding, lots of helpful threads will come up..

they are both about 9 months old

Ok well there both ok to be done :)

But as I say, once the male is done, I would consider also getting the female done..

But well done for getting the male booked in asap.

Do you know what you will do with the babies yet?

Ok well there both ok to be done :)

But as I say, once the male is done, I would consider also getting the female done..

But well done for getting the male booked in asap.

Do you know what you will do with the babies yet?

not even thought about it yet, may put an ad in the pet shop window when they are old enough, being blue rex's i dont think it will take long to find homes for them, that is if my wife can seperate herself from them :love:

I dont think you will have any problems bonding them once the babies have found new homes etc and they have been recovered from being neutered. You bond them on neutral ground. When the time comes to it, allot of people on here will help you. I know what your going through, same thing happened to me 7 years ago and we have 7 babies :shock:

Good luck!!

I dont think you will have any problems bonding them once the babies have found new homes etc and they have been recovered from being neutered. You bond them on neutral ground. When the time comes to it, allot of people on here will help you. I know what your going through, same thing happened to me 7 years ago and we have 7 babies :shock:

Good luck!!

well there are only 3 at the minute and she gave birth to them about 2 hours ago but they are big babies

not even thought about it yet, may put an ad in the pet shop window when they are old enough, being blue rex's i dont think it will take long to find homes for them, that is if my wife can seperate herself from them :love:

You could rehome them via the 'in need' section on this forum once theyre old enough.........if you do advertise in a pet shop window please be prepared to do proper homechecks.

Back