• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matts uri 'snuffles' - *a very hoppy little bun bun at the minute!*

I'm really pleased for you all.
Perhaps we've learned together that we can bring Matt's nasal discharge under control really quickly.
Relax now, the nightmare is over for both your adorable bunnies.

Sorry I missed replying earlier regarding the vacuum. Spray first then sweep, the water will tend to hold the small dust particles in suspension and prevent them from rising into the air. Anything is worth a try to remove irritants to Matt.

It is good that he is feeling so good in himself to be active. It must take a load off your mind as well.:D

will hoovering after remove the water again? it won't do any harm to bisc, he gets so cold. i suppose it is just a light spray mist of water though, not enough to drown the carpet and cause damp! (over worrying maybe?!)

yes, i am really happy that matt is happy. he's a nutter when he is hyper! :lol:

he is fine apart from the odd sneeze/sometimes a sneezing fit, but then after his nebuliser he is much happier. :D

I'm really pleased for you all.
Perhaps we've learned together that we can bring Matt's nasal discharge under control really quickly.
Relax now, the nightmare is over for both your adorable bunnies.

lesson 1. don't stop the nebuliser!

the nebuliser really is the key here i think to help matt more comfortable. but now that the wetness in his nose is clear and thin, it has been fantastic. just shows aswell how long it does take to thin the mucus and reduce the swelling. because people seem to get really disappointed like i did, that there are no results happening quickly, so hopefully reading about matt will let them know it does get better, it just takes a long time. but it does happen!

aidan is happy with how matt is doing, but he still describes the wetness and severe wetness. but was very happy it is now thin and watery. he was also really interested to hear what triggers matt and has seen it happen before. these cases he tried antihistamines but matt had them and they didn't help him.

anyway, he is really happy so that is great. he has a review again in a few weeks so will see where we are going from here. and bisc is having his blood test again.

i meant to ask you actually, he is just having blood tests on one part, the red cells i think... so i assume the white cells are normal this time? that is good they are staying normal now, but i don't know why the red cells aren't. hopefully bisc's body will have been able to get everything back to normal again. it was strange how he became anaemic and then it reversed again... and then came back...

I've a "gut" feeling that with his teeth, he hasn't been able to eat enough goodies! Let everything settle down for a while & I think you'll find that his gut & weight sort themselves out. :D:D:D

matts sneezing has calmed right down again now. i haven't heard him sneeze for ages. and his breathing sounds normal again. the nebuliser is so good, it has been amazing for him. i think the sudden cold weather upset everything, but now he seems to have calmed down again. he's still happy. :D

It's good to hear Matt is feeling so much happier. The nebuliser seems to have been a good investment.:)

I'm so pleased that all is under control again, especially as it's so cold in your neck of the woods. That's very big progress. :D:D:D

oh dear.... mr fluffy matt tried to jump over the mesh fence like bisc does and got stuck on the top! :roll::lol:

he was a bit embarrassed after! :lol: bless him.

I knew there was a reason why buns could hoik their plums up!!

He must be feeling on great form though, or should I have phrased that in the past tense?

he isn't sneezing now and is happy. doin well with the nebuliser, think he actually really likes it now, and his other meds he is doing great on.

i took the advice of misting the carpet before sweeping and hoovering, and it has made alot of difference. :D

sometimes he still sounds a bit 'chesty'... can't think of another word for the noise - it is like a weird noise to the breathing, like gurgling :? i can't describe it. but when i hear that i know he is about to get a bit more bunged up, like an early warning sign.

he is happy and being very cheeky! funnily enough, he hasn't attempted the fence after last time! :lol: he is a bit of a clumsy bun, always has been... he looks at bisc elegantly jump over and can't understand it! :lol:

but he is doing really well again. certainly seemed to be the start of the bad weather, change of temperature that set him off.

Has he managed to get a cobweb or fluffy fur on the end of his nose?
Thumper has the occasional sneeze when he gets a cobweb on his nose :oops: and doesn't have snuffles.

he was digging in the hay! :roll: thing is though, it only makes him sneeze when he is already snuffly. he did it again a bit after but has been ok since. he is actually really happy. :D

matt has kept a stable weight again... 2.41kg to 2.46kg...

he has had a 5th med added to the mix now... :shock: the F10. i have seen it mentioned on here before..

he has to have the F10 in with the parvolex in his nebuliser. this is aswell as all the other meds!

matts infection is very very stubborn, but it has improved loads, it just needs one last boost to hopefully fully shift it.

matt is the happiest he has been so he is doing really well.

he was moody at the vets though! :shock: he is usually really well behaved but he went frantic trying to get back in the carrier to be with bisc. he didn't like being away from him. so he clawed the carrier and went a bit mad at aidan. :oops: he calmed down though when we had a hug (me and matt, not me and aidan! :shock:)

can't believe matt is on 5 different things for this.

I do not think that there is a problem with the bacteria. I think there could be a problem getting Matt's secretions draining well, so that bacteria don't build up in them, & then start off infection again.
Matt wouldn't have a problem if his secretions drained freely.
As we both know there was a considerable delay before this fundamental problem was addressed, & this makes it very difficult to correct.

The vet cannot actually see what is going on in the nose & sinuses without a highly specialized MRI scan at £ 1,000 per test. It has been done so rarely that they aren't even sure what is normal in bunnies.:shock:

I think that the next step when there has been good control for a while, will be to discontinue the AB in the nebulizer but continue with the F10.

I do not think that there is a problem with the bacteria. I think there could be a problem getting Matt's secretions draining well, so that bacteria don't build up in them, & then start off infection again.
Matt wouldn't have a problem if his secretions drained freely.
As we both know there was a considerable delay before this fundamental problem was addressed, & this makes it very difficult to correct.

The vet cannot actually see what is going on in the nose & sinuses without a highly specialized MRI scan at £ 1,000 per test. It has been done so rarely that they aren't even sure what is normal in bunnies.:shock:

I think that the next step when there has been good control for a while, will be to discontinue the AB in the nebulizer but continue with the F10.

he said that aswell, that matts problems are all in the nose. the nebuliser has been the best thing for matt so i think he will always need it really. and i am glad... i can't see him ever being off all meds.. but he is fine witht he nebuliser and if it keeps everything clear then it is well worth it.

will see how he goes with this anyway. i do add the F10 to the parvolex don't i? so at the same time with the water? i think he said that but i doubt myself sometimes. :roll:

he said that aswell, that matts problems are all in the nose. the nebuliser has been the best thing for matt so i think he will always need it really. and i am glad... i can't see him ever being off all meds.. but he is fine witht he nebuliser and if it keeps everything clear then it is well worth it.

will see how he goes with this anyway. i do add the F10 to the parvolex don't i? so at the same time with the water? i think he said that but i doubt myself sometimes. :roll:

I think that I'll leave it to you to decide where I fit in here. Is it "fools seldom differ" or "great minds etc"? :lol:

Back