• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Louis :-(

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Louis, my gorgeous rescue bunny from ARC seems to have a tooth problem AGAIN!

He was his usual bouncy self yesterday morning, but by yesterday evening when I cleaned them out and fed them he was showing signs of wetness round the mouth and wasnt himself atall. This morning he now has wet paws too :(

I feel so sorry for him as it was only 2 months ago since his last dental when he had some teeth removed. Twinkle is looking after him though, cuddling up and washing him, Im sure she must know hes not feeling too good as she doesnt usually wash him as she prefers that he washs her!

My main concern though is that usually he tucks straight into his pellets, even when his teeth were bad 2 months ago, he still ate pellets, but couldnt manage veg or hay, this time though he wont touch his pellets, I put them down for him last night and he didnt touch them, I dont want him having gut stasis on top of tooth trouble. My poor little brave boy :cry:

Awww Debs, im sending lots of healing vibes and nose rubs to louis let us know how he gets on XXX

Hi Debs

Teeth problems - there a nightmare arn't they - I bet you just feel your battleing with one thing after another.

You will need to keep a careful eye on him if he stops eating as bunnies need to keep food and fibre intake going through the gut system all the time or as you mention there is the fear of statis setting in.

If there is no improvement tonight I'd have a chat with your Vet to see what they feel.

Have you tried tempting your bunny with some nice fresh herbs soaked in some water or praps you could try some Science Recovery which you could syringe or he might just lap it up.

Hope this helps and your wee boy is o.k :wink:

bunnytales said:
Hi Debs

Teeth problems - there a nightmare arn't they - I bet you just feel your battleing with one thing after another.

You will need to keep a careful eye on him if he stops eating as bunnies need to keep food and fibre intake going through the gut system all the time or as you mention there is the fear of statis setting in.

If there is no improvement tonight I'd have a chat with your Vet to see what they feel.

Have you tried tempting your bunny with some nice fresh herbs soaked in some water or praps you could try some Science Recovery which you could syringe or he might just lap it up.

Hope this help and your wee boy is o.k :wink:

I know I have to keep his gut moving, he could be eating, im just not sure, he didnt dive straight in when i fed him last night, but there is definatly food gone this morning, my problem is as he shares with his friend Twinkle I dont know if shes eating it all or if he is having the odd nibble!! Obviously I cant watch him every second, he just sits there when im watching him, but as soon as i walk away i can hear loads of noise where he seems to be chasing Twinkle as usual so he may just not want to eat in front of me at the moment!!

Ive just tried him with some chopped apple, but not interested, problem is he isnt used to eating at this time of day, so it may be hard to tempt him with anything, i will leave it till a bit later and try some cabbage when he is abit more awake again, failing that ill try some mashed up pellets, dont really want to force feed unless i have to as i dont want to stress him.

He is a house bunny so at least I can keep a close eye on him and check him every half hour or so.

I really hope that Louis is okay and that he starts eating his pellets again. Tons of ~~~~~~~ positive, healing vibes ~~~~~~~ being sent his way and (((((((((( huge hugs ))))))))))) too.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies and thoughts. Louis had me worried sick yesterday as I thought he wasnt eating. I tried him on all his favourite veg, then some chopped apple, then 3 different varietys/flavours of baby food, then I tried mashed up pellets, then weetabix soaked in water, then wholemeal bread in milk, then pellets soaked in water.................he didnt touch any of it, just sniffed at it and wondered off to his food bowl and started to munch on whole pellets!!!!!!! Little Devil :twisted: I didnt know whether to be annoyed or relieved :lol: :lol: :lol: . He is now off to the vets tomorrow morning and they are hoping to fit him in so fingers crossed :) Im still very worried about him but at least he is now eating, even though it isnt as much as he usually eats but hopefully its enough to keep his tummy going :) ??

He has already had 3 cheek teeth molars removed so im hoping he wont have to have any more removed tomorrow :( His mouth isnt as wet as last time so im hoping its just some spurs needing removal (fingers crossed)

Awwww - try not to worry - it really is like a rollar coaster with them and sounds like your doing everthing possible for him right now.

Were all here for you so just hollar if you need us and give us a shout tomorrow when you can to let us know how little Louis is doing :wink:

Good luck for tomorrow, we'll be thinking of ya.

Louis is Home YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

After having a very stressful day and worrying like mad over him, Sophie did a great job in getting him sorted out for us. :D
He did have some quite sharp spurs which have been sorted but unfortunatly the vet thinks he will have to have them removed every few months :( Poor little guy.

He is still quite wobbly after his anaestetic but as soon as he came home and we put him and Twinkle back in their crate he went straight for his food bowl and tucked in, the spurs have given him a bit of a red sore tongue so he is taking longer to eat than usual but at least he has an appetite and wants to eat, ive also seen him try a little bit of hay already too which is encouraging :D Im just soooo relieved and happy to have him home :D

So Louis and me would just like to say a huge THANKYOU to Sophie for sorting him out with the vet and looking after him and Twinkle today. :D :D :D :D

you must be so relieved to have him home . Your story touched my heart as cheekybun had numerous teeth probs throughout his life . x

Louis is feeling much better today, he took his time coming round last night and kept falling over alot, but he had quite a good meal last night and today he he has been chasing Twinkle around trying to bite her bum!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He had a good meal of vegetables around 5pm and actually ate more than Twinkle :D

I also saw him have a small munch on some Hay, but not alot, but hopefully that should improve as the days goes on and his sore tongue starts feeling better.

Hopefully we will have some nice dry weather over the weekend so he can go out for some fresh air in the garden.

At least I can relax more now hes almost back to his usual self :D

Back