• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine, stasis :(

Graciee

Staff member
She took a treat a couple hours ago, but now she doesn't want one and doesn't seem herself :(

Vet situation isn't good, I'm hoping we can make it til tomorrow morning (which I'm not happy about) and that there's an exotic vet on.. I'm going to give her loxicom, I know I shouldn't but Idk what else to do. We have a little bit of cisapride here, but I'm worried to give anything like that without a blood glucose test or someone who knows what they're doing feeling her and ruling out an obstruction.. She's eaten a little bit of grass and some ribwort though.. Might be one of her gas attacks.

Michaels gone to get veggies and herbs as we've run out of home grown stuff here :(

So worried about her :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sending millions of vibes for Clementine. I hope that she has a comfortable night and you can get to a vet in the morning. Xx

Thanks guys, really appreciate it xx

Worst timing, Evelyn is cluster feeding, 6 week growth spurt, so I'm so dead and she's given up sleeping :( thank gawd they only last a few days.

Given Clementine some veg but she's not interested now :( gave her loxicom so hoping that helps

Hello Gracie,

I am sorry Clementine is not doing well. She should feel better once the Loxicam starts to work. I would also give sub Q fluids to bunnies as soon as they are feeling unwell. While it is true that giving motility meds to an obstructed animal is counter indicated. That being said you know Clementine's history and it is likely she has the same issue she had in the past which would indicate the same treatment as the past. Others may think this is taking a big chance, yet I rarely can get an exotic vet in an emergency so I do what worked in the past with that individual.
Sending you and Clementine many vibes. Having Evelyn and Clementine requiring your attention at the same time must be exhausting, yet I know you will always put them first.

Hello Gracie,

I am sorry Clementine is not doing well. She should feel better once the Loxicam starts to work. I would also give sub Q fluids to bunnies as soon as they are feeling unwell. While it is true that giving motility meds to an obstructed animal is counter indicated. That being said you know Clementine's history and it is likely she has the same issue she had in the past which would indicate the same treatment as the past. Others may think this is taking a big chance, yet I rarely can get an exotic vet in an emergency so I do what worked in the past with that individual.
Sending you and Clementine many vibes. Having Evelyn and Clementine requiring your attention at the same time must be exhausting, yet I know you will always put them first.

She's still not eating, there's been a few tiny poops though, so that's something.

Yea sq fluids might be a good idea, I've got all the stuff here for that, I'ma do some in a minute, thanks :)

You know I've been thinking about this, my Vet would do an xray, blood glucose and physical check, before giving gut motility drugs.. Any non exotic would just dispense them though without checking. And that's all I could maybe see now.. So maybe its worth just doing.. I'll see how things progress though, ideally I want her seen first thing tomorrow morning, but Idk if there'll be an exotic vet there, I'm guessing not :(

Yea it's a lot tbh, I won't let Clementine down though. She gave me kisses this evening, first time in a while, she really is such a sweetie :)

She's still not eating, there's been a few tiny poops though, so that's something.

Yea sq fluids might be a good idea, I've got all the stuff here for that, I'ma do some in a minute, thanks :)

You know I've been thinking about this, my Vet would do an xray, blood glucose and physical check, before giving gut motility drugs.. Any non exotic would just dispense them though without checking. And that's all I could maybe see now.. So maybe its worth just doing.. I'll see how things progress though, ideally I want her seen first thing tomorrow morning, but Idk if there'll be an exotic vet there, I'm guessing not :(

Yea it's a lot tbh, I won't let Clementine down though. She gave me kisses this evening, first time in a while, she really is such a sweetie :)

Kisses! I am so jealous. Sub Q fluids should help to keep her hydrated so her system does not pull additional fluid from her GI system and her poos do not become difficult for her to pass. You are right that some vets would dispense motility drugs which is what they did after a physical exam prior to the study regarding blood glucose levels. Passing poos, even tiny poos, is a good indication that she may not be obstructed. If you syringe feed a small amount it may stimulate movement in her guts too. Trust your instincts Gracie.

Sending vibes she will be able to see an exotic vet in the morning and she will start eating again.

Kisses! I am so jealous. Sub Q fluids should help to keep her hydrated so her system does not pull additional fluid from her GI system and her poos do not become difficult for her to pass. You are right that some vets would dispense motility drugs which is what they did after a physical exam prior to the study regarding blood glucose levels. Passing poos, even tiny poos, is a good indication that she may not be obstructed. If you syringe feed a small amount it may stimulate movement in her guts too. Trust your instincts Gracie.

Thanks for this :) we've had poops throughout the night just less and small.. But poops nonetheless! She's been nibbling again, more veg than anything else but idm as long as she eats something. Michael bought a load of veg and herbs so she's just been having a mixture each time, she seems to go off things, but is enticed to eat something new if you rotate what's on offer weirdly. You're right the poops passing would tend to indicate no blockage, still haven't done gut motility meds, will be calling my vets at 9am to try get her seen and they can dispense some for her I'm thinking. I did some sq fluids a few times throughout the night too, fluids are always a good idea, so glad you mentioned that, it's the one thing I always forget [emoji38]

I hope that Clementine will start producing more poo soon. Hopefully the fluids and the Veg will get things moving.

Could this be triggered by some arthritic pain ? Not sure if she has some arthritis after the extensive hip surgery she had a few years ago ?

I'm with you on holding off on prokinetics unless you are certain there is no obstruction. Especially not Metoclopramide

Sending more vibes for Clementine, hope you manage to get vets appointment. You are doing a great job Graciee xx

Back