• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating post op - any suggestions?

Sending loads of vibes for your poor boy. I really hope that the vet can stabilise Dex. Also sending you lots of hugs. It must be a very stressful time for you.

Thank you all.

Thanks for sending me those links JJ, will have a read through them shortly. They did stop the antibiotic injections and I think they're working on a new plan with him. I will have a read of the link you've sent and see if the vets are interested in them. The idea of the slow releasing meds in the abscess sounds like a good one, as the vet has to clean the area for pus every day. They'll tell me to do it for him at home but I'm extremely apprehensive doing that kind of stuff...

Got a call from the vets yesterday and they said he's doing a lot better. To continue with that progress we agreed to keep him in for another night...expecting a call from the vets later today. I think maybe one of the things I wasn't doing is giving him enough critical feed...I was averaging about 50ml a day. Will just have to do my best to up this, despite how stressful it is for Dex

Sending loads of vibes for your poor boy. I really hope that the vet can stabilise Dex. Also sending you lots of hugs. It must be a very stressful time for you.

It is very stressful as every rabbit owner here can understand!

I called my manager the other day and just said I've got to be home for the next few weeks to take care of Dexter. Not more he could say but agree! No chance I'll compromise my rabbits health over going to the office!

Good to hear of an improvement.

Just a note that those antibiotic beads are dangerous if used in a wound that is open, at risk of opening as they are toxic when ingested.

In made up feed my bunny is syringe fed about 50ml every few hours (once between midnight & 8-9am). I remember being told 100ml a day for my 2.5 kilo bunniess but that seems so little to me now. The feeding guidelines on the packet actually makes up a fair volume. I hope he takes to bigger feeds easily

Good to hear of an improvement.

Just a note that those antibiotic beads are dangerous if used in a wound that is open, at risk of opening as they are toxic when ingested.

In made up feed my bunny is syringe fed about 50ml every few hours (once between midnight & 8-9am). I remember being told 100ml a day for my 2.5 kilo bunniess but that seems so little to me now. The feeding guidelines on the packet actually makes up a fair volume. I hope he takes to bigger feeds easily

50ml every few hours?? Wow how do you do that? Dexter struggles and runs away after only 2x1ml syringes, I have to grab him a good 3/4 times just to get to 10ml

Do you syringe feed without any help? How do you do it? I grab him in a towel and clamp his rear with my legs. But maybe this isn't the optimal way? I definitely need to give him more feed....

50ml every few hours?? Wow how do you do that? Dexter struggles and runs away after only 2x1ml syringes, I have to grab him a good 3/4 times just to get to 10ml

Do you syringe feed without any help? How do you do it? I grab him in a towel and clamp his rear with my legs. But maybe this isn't the optimal way? I definitely need to give him more feed....

Maybe these videos will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

I'm lucky Rudey is pretty obliging, its not even traditional style syringe feeding.
https://imgur.com/62X2Lsg
He will often eat it of a spoon too (held over a ramekin of the stuff) but not directly from a bowl / saucer - its just less easy to gauge how much he gets by syringe as his partner tries to join in too :lol:

You may find bigger syringes easier - even Rudey gets distracted & attempts to flee during refills. Mines 60mls

I'm lucky Rudey is pretty obliging, its not even traditional style syringe feeding.
He will often eat it of a spoon too (held over a ramekin of the stuff) but not directly from a bowl / saucer - its just less easy to gauge how much he gets by syringe as his partner tries to join in too :lol:

You may find bigger syringes easier - even Rudey gets distracted & attempts to flee during refills. Mines 60mls
dear joey&boo,-dex179-is that video,with rudey.--yes you are fortunate to have such a beautiful,recipient.--when a rabbit refuses grasses,eating only soft foods,ie pellets,-it is a reason for concern.--an inspection of the mouth,organs is warranted[dental problems]-ie misaligned teeth,over grown teeth..when syringe feeding[critical care]-it should be slightly warmer than room temp/kinda runniny.-have the preparation close at hand and several appropriate 5cc syringes.--sometimes it helps to preload them-before and afterward weight in KG,s-is mandatory,and a running log of treatment.-wrap the bunz in a towel,with other clean rags on hand.-any syringe feeding must be rather slow,and not all at once-always aim for the inside cheek area,not down the throat,this is deadly.-rabbits might cough,but lack stomach muscles to throw up.-watch the poops as they will be a different color,larger poops are better than small ones.-- http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from my isolated cave,the other kent-usa

That's...amazing. You are one lucky bunny parent! If only my dexter could do that even for a few ml I'd be happy still.

So Dexter is back home now. He's no longer on the tramadol, but the vets have given him a small dose of buprenorphine for the pain. He's on cispride now rather than the metoclopramide. He's starting to nibble a tiny bit which is a step in the right direction, think I'll still critical care feed him.

He's still on the depocillen but I'll have to clean his wound once a day with a drop of saline given as well. Not sure how I'm going to do that by myself but I guess I've got no choice!

I've had good results when my bunnies have been given cisapride so hopefully it will also help Dexter.

Also, just in case the vet hasn't already forewarned you, buprenorphine is an opiate and can have a marked sedative effect on bunnies. So Dexter may seem a bit quieter or more flat than usual this evening.

I really hope he has a good night and starts to turn the corner soon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I've had good results when my bunnies have been given cisapride so hopefully it will also help Dexter.

Also, just in case the vet hasn't already forewarned you, buprenorphine is an opiate and can have a marked sedative effect on bunnies. So Dexter may seem a bit quieter or more flat than usual this evening.

I really hope he has a good night and starts to turn the corner soon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

That's good to hear about the cisapride. He was being given metoclopramide before but that wasn't really working so they've switched him to this

Yes I was told about it being a opiate. He is a little quiet but I need him to be active and hungry!

Unfortunately last night he only had about 5 mushy pellets and nibble on a tiny bit of greens but nothing else. Will have to keep syringing him :(

Asking everyone for a bit of advice here.

So Dexter has an open wound under his chin due to the abscess. Pus keeps accumulating down there so I need to clean it with some flush solution and a cotton bud. However I am on my own without anyone to help

How would you recommend holding him to clean it? I'm concerned that my only alternative is to somehow get him on his back, which i don't want to do....

Thanks everyone

I really don't envy you with this. If putting him on his back is the best/only way to clean the wound then I would say do it. It's so difficult when you are on your own.

Asking everyone for a bit of advice here.

So Dexter has an open wound under his chin due to the abscess. Pus keeps accumulating down there so I need to clean it with some flush solution and a cotton bud. However I am on my own without anyone to help

How would you recommend holding him to clean it? I'm concerned that my only alternative is to somehow get him on his back, which i don't want to do....

Thanks everyone

If he is a wriggler or struggler it might be easiest to burrito him. Youtube has some good videos on how - search how to do a bunny burrito.
My vets always advocated manuka honey on wounds like this - after the flushes. Its grim but I reckon you'll manage fine once you get going

Back