• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating post op - any suggestions?

Thank you for the links JJ

Thanks for all the well wishes too

I've got another question - I've just run out of the Oxbow critical care, but the vets gave me the Surpreme recovery liquid feed. I had a look and it recommends only 20g per kg as opposed to critical care which recommends 27g per kg. Obviously the maths says I should go for the Supreme so I don't have to give him as many syringes and stress him out.

Is there any/much difference between them in terms of nutrition? If this is a post elsewhere please send me a link as I couldn't really find it on the forum

Thanks all

Thank you for the links JJ

Thanks for all the well wishes too

I've got another question - I've just run out of the Oxbow critical care, but the vets gave me the Surpreme recovery liquid feed. I had a look and it recommends only 20g per kg as opposed to critical care which recommends 27g per kg. Obviously the maths says I should go for the Supreme so I don't have to give him as many syringes and stress him out.

Is there any/much difference between them in terms of nutrition? If this is a post elsewhere please send me a link as I couldn't really find it on the forum

Thanks all

Oxbow CC ingredients listed here :

https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/professional-line/critical-care/

Supreme Science Recovery ingredients listed here :

https://supremepetfoods.com/supreme-products/science-recovery-only-available-to-vets/

do you have a particular view or have heard any views regarding which is better?

I prefer the supreme recovery feed based on amounts but would be good to hear if there is anything significantly different vs Oxbow CC? If roughly about the same then I'll go for the supreme...

do you have a particular view or have heard any views regarding which is better?

I prefer the supreme recovery feed based on amounts but would be good to hear if there is anything significantly different vs Oxbow CC? If roughly about the same then I'll go for the supreme...

Personally I use Emeraid, just to add more confusion !

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore/

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore-sustain/

Honestly, as long as he is getting the required amount either product is fine. If it reduces his stress to have less per feed then I'd go for that one. What pellet feed do you usually give. If I have a Rabbit that refuses all Syringe Feed formula I make up my own by soaking the usual pellet feed in boiled water, liquidise it with some veg puree and add some Pro C Professional into it https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Rabbits--other-furries/Health/ProC-Professional.aspx

Personally I use Emeraid, just to add more confusion !

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore/

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore-sustain/

Honestly, as long as he is getting the required amount either product is fine. If it reduces his stress to have less per feed then I'd go for that one. What pellet feed do you usually give. If I have a Rabbit that refuses all Syringe Feed formula I make up my own by soaking the usual pellet feed in boiled water, liquidise it with some veg puree and add some Pro C Professional into it https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Rabbits--other-furries/Health/ProC-Professional.aspx

Why do you choose to use this particular brand? I've checked the dosage requirements...it's 60ml/kg....bit too much for my rabbit lol

Unfortunately at the moment he's not having any pellets at all, even if I soak it. He generally wharfs down most types of pellets.

He seems to be taking the Supreme recovery feeds a bit better than the oxbow CC, but I wonder if that's only because he's having some opiate and that's making him a bit easier to handle :D

Should I be mixing in the Pro C professional into the syringe feed anyways? Or is that not required?

Thanks

If he is a wriggler or struggler it might be easiest to burrito him. Youtube has some good videos on how - search how to do a bunny burrito.
My vets always advocated manuka honey on wounds like this - after the flushes. Its grim but I reckon you'll manage fine once you get going

Where would you apply the honey? Inside the opening or just around the outside? I'll mention this to the vet on Monday....

Thanks for the links JJ

Why do you choose to use this particular brand? I've checked the dosage requirements...it's 60ml/kg....bit too much for my rabbit lol

Unfortunately at the moment he's not having any pellets at all, even if I soak it. He generally wharfs down most types of pellets.

He seems to be taking the Supreme recovery feeds a bit better than the oxbow CC, but I wonder if that's only because he's having some opiate and that's making him a bit easier to handle :D

Should I be mixing in the Pro C professional into the syringe feed anyways? Or is that not required?

Thanks

It is useful to have two types, the 'Intensive Care' when nutritional needs will be different to those required when the Emeraid 'Sustain' is more appropriate. There is no need to add the ProC Professional to any of the formula feeds

Where would you apply the honey? Inside the opening or just around the outside? I'll mention this to the vet on Monday....

Thanks for the links JJ

Manuka Honey is plugged right into the abscess cavity.

Hi all

Just thought I'd give an update on Dexter. So today he's finally gained some appetite and is eating the moistened pellets I put out for him. He nibbles a tiny bit of spinach and a grape, nothing else. I'm so relieved he's sort of eating by himself!

The only thing stressing me out now is that he is due his monthly teeth operation....the boy just needs a break! Dex had a CT scan a couple of weeks back (that's when they picked up his tooth abscess) and they said his teeth were fine then. But in the last two weeks he's hardly eaten anything solid. The vet is in agreement with me that we don't really want to stress him out so soon after his latest traumatic experience. Will have to monitor him closely to see if any signs of dental problems....

In terms of diet - he's not really eating any veg apart from the spinach. Shall I leave him alone and let him eat whatever he wants now? Or do you think I should start trying to wean him back to eating veg? To be honest I'm just happy he's eating anything now....

Dex was also prescribed some opiate. I called the vets and he said just finish off the dosage today seeing that Dex is starting to eat. However the dosage I gave him earlier has now made Dex very sleepy and lethargic. Think I'll stop now...

In terms of his wound, the vet also prescribed Tiacil, which is a sterile antibiotic drop to put into his abscess wound (it's actually an eye drop). I asked about the manuka honey and he thinks I could try it if I wanted to, but he reckons the depocillen and the Tiacil should be sufficient for now. Any thoughts?

Anyways thanks everyone for your help and advice...hopefully Dex makes a full recovery. ..

I think for now let him build himself up eating extra pellets if he fancies & keep trying to temp him with other things. The eye drops are unfamiliar territory as my vet used manuka so no experience on that one. I'm sorry its dental time :( what a worry

Thank you Zoobec, Dex would appreciate that :)

I think for now let him build himself up eating extra pellets if he fancies & keep trying to temp him with other things. The eye drops are unfamiliar territory as my vet used manuka so no experience on that one. I'm sorry its dental time :( what a worry

Ah I'm used to it, I do it every month. I just wish he can have a bit of a break before all the teeth stuff!

I have a question if you guys can help me - so alongside the opiate, Dex was also prescribed Cisapride. Now that he's about 70% in terms of eating, do you still think I need to continue with this medication?

Thanks

Thank you Zoobec, Dex would appreciate that :)

Ah I'm used to it, I do it every month. I just wish he can have a bit of a break before all the teeth stuff!

I have a question if you guys can help me - so alongside the opiate, Dex was also prescribed Cisapride. Now that he's about 70% in terms of eating, do you still think I need to continue with this medication?

Thanks

Yes, personally I would until his gut motility is 100% back to normal. But give your Vet a call today to obtain his/her advice as mine is unqualified :)

I agree with Jane. I wouldn't stop any gut meds until his appetite and input has been normal for at least a few days. It isn't worth the risk of a backwards step here as it may be difficult to regain the lost ground if his appetite slows down, and he still has some way to go to a full recovery. Are you monitoring his weight (at least once a week)? That will give a good indication of how much he needs to eat as he should be maintaining his weight. Any loss means that he needs to eat more.

I'm not monitoring his weight - any recommendations for a rabbit friendly weighing scale?

I'm due to visit the vets soon, either to pick up more antibiotics or for his teeth operation so will ask them to weigh him then as well

Dex seemed a bit lethargic this morning so decided to continue his meds. Think you guys are right, let's keep going until he's 100% or told otherwise

Thanks

I'm not monitoring his weight - any recommendations for a rabbit friendly weighing scale?

I'm due to visit the vets soon, either to pick up more antibiotics or for his teeth operation so will ask them to weigh him then as well

Dex seemed a bit lethargic this morning so decided to continue his meds. Think you guys are right, let's keep going until he's 100% or told otherwise

Thanks

i have a set of Baby Scales similar to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digi...=293294826958d7f5898cfb66414089d5ee5b77c87468

Thanks, will look into it. I think I do need it as I'm finding it hard to gauge at the moment as he's only keen on pellets...he's slowly getting back to his excited puppy self over food!

Thank you Joey&Boo

If he has never eaten hay and now has quite advanced Dental problems it may be that he will never be able to eat enough hay to maintain his weight. The occlusion of his teeth may be permanently distorted, also the jaw action required to chew hay is rotational where-as that required to eat pellets is more up and down.

I cant remember if Dexter had skull Radiographs taken when he had his Dental treatment ? Skull radiographs are very helpful for assessing how advanced the dental disease is

tB8kdlE.jpg

I think he has had one of those scans before. I have given up on him eating hay...now I'm just trying to get him back on his veggies. At the moment he;s only interested in moistened pellets...and I'm trying to slowly ease him back into normal unmoistened pellets.

I think he has had one of those scans before. I have given up on him eating hay...now I'm just trying to get him back on his veggies. At the moment he;s only interested in moistened pellets...and I'm trying to slowly ease him back into normal unmoistened pellets.

I adopted an 8 year old Bunny who had never been fed hay in his life. I named him 'Major Tom'

CDvxzCT.jpg

His teeth were a mess. He could only eat moistened pellets for the remainder of his life, which was just over 2 years. During that time he needed numerous Dentals and treatment for a Dental abscess and infected tear ducts. Both caused as a consequence of his severe Dental problems. So whilst eating soggy pellets is not ideal, as a last resort it is possible for a Bunny to survive on the diet, albeit that they may get a mucky bum quite a lot of the time so a lot of extra hands on care is needed to keep Bunny clean. And obviously being ultra vigilant re Flystrike is essential.

Have you tried mixing some profibre pellets in with his usual soggy pellets

https://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/32

Also some crumbled up Fibafirst sticks

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Both can be mixed up with the soggy pellets and will increase the crude fibre content of his diet. Whilst served as a soggy mash that wont help his teeth it may help his GI tract and lessen the production of unformed cecotrophs.

Back