• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

Thank you ru friends Toribun, Zoobec, a Reader of Books.

Raven continues to have his ups and downs. He can go from eating a small amount to not wanting to eat anything in a short time. While this is the longest amount of time he has been doing this, it is not the first time. So that encourages me to try harder to help him recover.
Right now he is on an awful schedule with meds at all hours, so I am going to try to adjust some of his care this week so I am not giving him meds at 2 or 3am.
I am so grateful my vet trusts me to have extra meds/supplies at home for emergency use so I was able to start some treatment as soon as I saw he was ill.

Really hope Raven is feeling more comfortable soon, and sending loads of vibes for Zorro for tomorrow. Your buns are so lucky to be in your care xx

Big hugs to you BM for being such a devoted, loyal and totally unselfish bun carer. I’m sure Raven knows the love and care you are giving him and I’m sure all you are doing will help his recovery.
Sending loads more vibes for Raven and also vibes for Zorro tomorrow. Xx

Thank you for the support with my mystery boy.
Raven was peeing tons and getting a lot on himself, so I did not give him any sub q fluids yesterday. I just noticed that the litterbox I cleaned a few hours ago has only a few tiny, hard poos. I just restarted sub q fluids.
I notice he drinks more water when he gets fluids and thought it was because he felt better when properly hydrated-the opposite of what I would expect.

I wonder what issue may be causing him to dehydrate , and is that primary to his not wanting to eat?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for the support with my mystery boy.
Raven was peeing tons and getting a lot on himself, so I did not give him any sub q fluids yesterday. I just noticed that the litterbox I cleaned a few hours ago has only a few tiny, hard poos. I just restarted sub q fluids.
I notice he drinks more water when he gets fluids and thought it was because he felt better when properly hydrated-the opposite of what I would expect.

I wonder what issue may be causing him to dehydrate , and is that primary to his not wanting to eat?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Has he had a full blood profile run ? Renal insufficiency could be an issue.

Is his heart and respiratory rate normal ?

I thought as Jane the minute I saw he was drinking more even with sub q's. Kidney check those bloods. How old is Raven?

I didn't see before when reading through the thread, has he had any issues with baytril before? Abx are great for sometimes causing more upset stomach than they help. I have a dog who can't take it at all because it turns her inside out.

More vibes for Raven's recovery and I hope Zorro's neuter went well. Hugs for you, you must be so stressed. xxxxx

I'm not much help on the kidney front although maybe he has a sore bladder that is improved the more dilute it is?

Rodney is a bit of a reluctant drinker and when we upped his fluids when he had his bladder flushed he also seemed to drink more. Luckily he's kept that up.

Vibes for you though I hope the mystery is solved soon.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I thought as Jane the minute I saw he was drinking more even with sub q's. Kidney check those bloods. How old is Raven?

I didn't see before when reading through the thread, has he had any issues with baytril before? Abx are great for sometimes causing more upset stomach than they help. I have a dog who can't take it at all because it turns her inside out.

More vibes for Raven's recovery and I hope Zorro's neuter went well. Hugs for you, you must be so stressed. xxxxx
Thanks .Sorry Jenna has such a bad reaction to Baytril.
Zorro is on the mend.
Raven is 6.
He tolerates Baytril well and had it last year when vet said he felt tender around kidneys which went away by a recheck days later.
Vet said Baytril 14 days before trying a different abx - though still not know if he has any infection.
No bloods.

Last edited:
This week he was eating his greens and some pellets and hay. This morning he was the best he has been in weeks. He was begging and ate everything overnight. A few days ago I saw his rear was dry too. He is still on abx and some medicam and motility meds, along with fluids daily. He lost weight so he was getting one feeding of critical care to maintain his weight.

It made me so happy to see him running and playing!:love:

I still do not know reason for his illness other than dental six weeks ago. He had stasis from not eating yet he kept dehydrating and had urine on backside too. If renal perhaps kidney infection since not show in urine? Fluid therapy helping? Other?

I want to keep him on baytril longer and hope vet will refill script. Will continue fluids too as needed.

Good to hear that Raven is doing better now, I really hope that continues. Sending out more vibes for your boy xxx

Ooh, whatever the cause, I'm so glad he's feeling better! You've been taking such good care of him, and it's so good that things are finally looking up. I hope he'll keep feeling better like this. =)

Back