• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

It can take a few days for soft tissue damage to the mouth to heal. Hopefully he will be able to eat more over the next couple of days x

It has been 5 days and he is eating small amounts of greens. He is also begging for a piece of garden stick and crunches for a minute before stopping.
He is on a higher dose of pain meds and still getting syringe fed and some sub q fluids to supplement his drinking.
I moistened some pellets and a treat yet he did not eat it.
He is bright and behaving normally except he is not chewing things.

Last edited:
It took a good week for Treacle to eat properly after her last dental, and she was very picky . I hope Raven will be able to eat for himself soon. Sending some more vibes for him x

I'm glad he's bright and behaving normally, and that he's eating small amounts of greens. I think it's understandable that he's not chewing things yet. I know you said the sore in his mouth was expected to heal in a few days, but in my experience it can take longer than that. Once it took Sophie's previous friend two weeks before he ate normally again when having a sore in his mouth, even though he was on pain meds like Raven. I think that as long as you keep seeing some progress, the only thing you can do is give it time. I'm sending Raven lots of vibes, though. I hope his mouth will feel better soon.

It took a good week for Treacle to eat properly after her last dental, and she was very picky . I hope Raven will be able to eat for himself soon. Sending some more vibes for him x
Thank you for sharing. I am hoping he just needs more time.

I'm glad he's bright and behaving normally, and that he's eating small amounts of greens. I think it's understandable that he's not chewing things yet. I know you said the sore in his mouth was expected to heal in a few days, but in my experience it can take longer than that. Once it took Sophie's previous friend two weeks before he ate normally again when having a sore in his mouth, even though he was on pain meds like Raven. I think that as long as you keep seeing some progress, the only thing you can do is give it time. I'm sending Raven lots of vibes, though. I hope his mouth will feel better soon.
Thank you for telling me this. I will try to temper my worrying.

I hope he’s back to normal soon. Frosty took quite a while after his last dental to be back to normal, as he had ulcers. Sending lots of vibes xx

It has been 5 days and he is eating small amounts of greens. He is also begging for a piece of garden stick and crunches for a minute before stopping.
He is on a higher dose of pain meds and still getting syringe fed and some sub q fluids to supplement his drinking.
I moistened some pellets and a treat yet he did not eat it.
He is bright and behaving normally except he is not chewing things.
Poor bun :( I don't have any bunny teeth experience unfortunately, but I think as long as he's nibbling and passing output, and seems brighter in himself, that's gotta be positive? Must be so worrying for you :( what does your vet think? Sending him loads of vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I hope he’s back to normal soon. Frosty took quite a while after his last dental to be back to normal, as he had ulcers. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you. This is the first time he had any sore, plus his teeth were worn to the gum. I need to be patient from what others are saying.

Poor bun :( I don't have any bunny teeth experience unfortunately, but I think as long as he's nibbling and passing output, and seems brighter in himself, that's gotta be positive? Must be so worrying for you :( what does your vet think? Sending him loads of vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

He is passing output that is not as small as the first few days, so I am glad syringe feeds and his nibbling is keeping gi moving.
Vet said it would heal in a few days when I retrieved him following the dental.
I know he will need future dentals , and may try to get a regular schedule.
Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I always hated getting bunny dentals done as the aftercare was sometimes enlogated depending on how far the teeth needed burring. :(

I've missed reading a bit of this thread, is Raven receiving metacam for pain? I only ask because I'm still struggling keeping Jenna's pain under control and that's with the proper strength. I wonder if all metacam is somehow weaker than it's supposed to be due to the reported shortages? Perhaps some additional pain cover might help to get Raven more interested in eating again?

Thinking of you and sending feel better vibes for Raven. xxxxx

I always hated getting bunny dentals done as the aftercare was sometimes enlogated depending on how far the teeth needed burring. :(

I've missed reading a bit of this thread, is Raven receiving metacam for pain? I only ask because I'm still struggling keeping Jenna's pain under control and that's with the proper strength. I wonder if all metacam is somehow weaker than it's supposed to be due to the reported shortages? Perhaps some additional pain cover might help to get Raven more interested in eating again?

Thinking of you and sending feel better vibes for Raven. xxxxx
Thank you. He has medicam. See Jennas thread why I do not think medicam is watered.

On Saturday, 9 days after his dental, he began to drink a normal amount on his own, so no need for sub Q. Although he was nibbling more greens, a few strands of hay, and some pellets, he still got some critical care to supplement his eating.
By Sunday, 10 days after his dental, he was eating his greens much quicker and he also ate a few more pellets which I mixed with his treat stick which I crumbled into his bowl. He is still having some discomfort because he takes pieces of treat stick from my hands, yet he only chews it a few times before stopping.
For the past several days I kept him on Medicam at his regular dose (rather than the higher dose he got for several days following his dental) and I will continue to do so until he is able to eat comfortably.

Tomorrow I will need to venture to the store to purchase him more of his favorite greens. It is also my plan to weigh him to see if he is staying within his normal range.

It sounds as though he is making progress, albeit slow. He may have had some neuralgia if the Dental procedure was relatively protracted.

Back