• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spare vibes for Lillian please

All the best for you and your Lillian! I think you are a great rabbit carer. You don't waste a minute and get her the best care possible. Hopefully, she will be back home with her family in no time.

I’ve been waiting for my lunch break so I could come here and see how Lillian is doing. I’m sorry to hear she had been admitted and feeling so unwell but pleased it is an infection and nothing more serious. Once she starts treatment she should start getting back to normal fairly quickly.

Sending love to you all x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Craig, I'm so relieved to hear its a UTI and nothing more sinister, I'm sure once the meds get to work, she will be feeling so much better. Well done you on getting her seen so quickly, and spotting it in the first place, we all know how these pesky rabbits like to hide things from us. Sending lots of get well vibes for Lillian, and another big hug for you xxxx

Update for you all at 4:30.
Vet just called. Lillian has been nomming on some grass but not much and no real appetite. Still on meds and fluids but so far avoiding the need for syringe feeding. She appears to be responding well to the intervention and meds and has passed some poop at mid day but these are small and hard so vet not really satisfied that Lilian’s gut is back to normal so still cautious. Lillian’s demeanour is brighter, she is hopping around whatever cage she is in and according to the vet, her pain score is coming down - clearly Lillian is able to tell the vets how she feels but not me!!!
So, there’s positives already, but I should remain cautious. She will spend the night in the wonderful care of the nurse at the hospital and she has a snuggle bun for company- but it’s not home and she will be a bit lonely without Henry. Likewise he will be lost without her so we’ll watch him at home.
Vet will call me tomorrow before 9 with an update unless there is a major change in Lillian. I will update you all then.
Thank you each and all again so much for your thoughts and vibes.
Craig xx

What a day you must have had! I hope Lilian improves overnight and she will be able to come home soon.

I got everything crossed here that Lillian can come home today Craig xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I got everything crossed here that Lillian can come home today Craig xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thank you Loobers. I have had a pretty sleepless night - all I could think about was Lillian. So I'm knackered. And Henry is sitting here in the living room looking very very lost and forlorn. The vet will ring in the next 3 hours with an update - the fact that we've not heard from the vet since yesterday afternoon is a strong positive - as Lillian must be continuiing to respond positively. I just hope that her output is better, more poop and that she is more comfortable. I just feel so bad in not being abl eto have spotted this before it developed into an infection. All things crossed here and hopefully Lillian will be home later today. I will update once I have further information.
Thank you every bun.
Craig x

Thank you Loobers. I have had a pretty sleepless night - all I could think about was Lillian. So I'm knackered. And Henry is sitting here in the living room looking very very lost and forlorn. The vet will ring in the next 3 hours with an update - the fact that we've not heard from the vet since yesterday afternoon is a strong positive - as Lillian must be continuiing to respond positively. I just hope that her output is better, more poop and that she is more comfortable. I just feel so bad in not being abl eto have spotted this before it developed into an infection. All things crossed here and hopefully Lillian will be home later today. I will update once I have further information.
Thank you every bun.
Craig x
Hoping for some more good news today Craig.
Love to Lillian and Henry xxx

I hope Lillian is able to come home soon. You shouldn’t beat yourself up for not noticing anything earlier, I’m sure you noticed as soon as there was any symptoms to see.

Sending lots more vibes for Lillian. I hope you get some positive news soon from the vets.

Sending a million vibes for Lillian, I agree with everyone else too, you probably noticed when there was something to notice, rabbits go down hill quickly and they hide stuff, it's not easy! [emoji38] Lillian is so lucky to be in your care xxx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

8am update for all you lovely ru’s. vet nurse just ring- very happy positive young lady she is too. She looked after Lillian last time. Anyway, she said (and I’m quoting here) Lillian is very comfortable, and has had a very settled comfortable night. She is pooping and eating away. The vet will assess once she is in, hopefully in the next hour or so and then let me know.
Given the initial news from the nurse, I would say that this is quite positive and I am hoping Lillian is strong enough and well enough to be discharged today. I am pleased that so far her progress from yesterday at this time, to today has been nothing short of amazing and reflects just how strong and determined her spirit is, despite my ineptitude at looking after her. Henry will be so pleased to get his cuddle monster back as his behaviour this morning was one of someone really lost and missing something. Henry seemed reluctant to tuck into (or fight for) breakfast and clearly Henry is a bum who likes the companionship.
I will update once the vet has rung with hopefully news of Lillian’s discharge today.
Thank you all so much again- your vibes have really been positive once more for Lillian- for which I am so grateful.
Craig xx

Further update. 8:30. Vet just seen Lillian. She is scoffing nuggets which is great (and typical Lillian) and pooping away. But, worryingly her temperature has gone up and the vet is concerned. When she was admitted, her temp was 39 and st 2am this morning temperature was fine. But between 2am and now, temp has gone up to 40 which the vet is worried about. She says she may slyer the medication and antibiotics (didn’t know they affected temperature but what do I know) and vet also wonders if Lillian is just ‘warm and cosy’- although I would assume her body would self regulate. so something else might be going on, or might not. Vet will reassess and take another temp reading at 10am and advise.
More hours of stress��. I’m out of fingernails now so I’ll havd to find something else to chew.

So sorry I have not logged in recently so have missed all this concern. Sending lots of vibes from myself and Bertie. xx

Oh Craig I'm so sorry [emoji17] It must be so deflating to get that update after your chat with the nurse was so positive. I'm just wondering whether the infection is causing the spike in temperature and once that's under control the temperature should come down of its own accord.

I really hope that when you speak to the vet again she'll be doing a lot better.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back