• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depocillian and Behaviour

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Oliver just had the last of his depocillian injections this morning. That was 2 a week for 6 weeks. At his vet appointment yesterday he got the alk clear with his ear infection yeah! He never had any ear base swelling or pus just red imflamation. But he will be taken back for 2 month check ups on it.

Anyhow he was urine spotting again so vet checked and he has a uti so on baytril now for 3 weeks.

For the past week he has been hiding away alot under the sofa still eatting and pooping but I am wondering if the depocillian now combined with a uti would make him feel off even more? Anyone notice depocillian makes their bun a bit more flat ?? He is doing a small amount of teeth grinding but is on 0.6ml of dog metacam a day and he weighs 1.9kg. Still think he is uncomfortable. Was thinking maybe twice a day metacam is needed. I feel so sad for him, as not sure if he also misses the bun we had for 2 weeks who we had a failed bond :(

Last edited:
Oliver just had the last of his depocillian injections this morning. That was 2 a week for 6 weeks. At his vet appointment yesterday he got the alk clear with his ear infection yeah! He never had any ear base swelling or pus just red imflamation. But he will be taken back for 2 month check ups on it.

Anyhow he was urine spotting again so vet checked and he has a uti so on baytril now for 3 weeks.

For the past week he has been hiding away alot under the sofa still eatting and pooping but I am wondering if the depocillian now combined with a uti would make him feel off even more? Anyone notice depocillian makes their bun a nit more flat ?? He is doing a small amount of teeth grinding but is on 0.6ml of dog metacam a day and he weighs 1.9kg. Still think he is uncomfortable. Was thinking maybe twice a day metacam is needed. I feel so sad for him, as not sure if he also misses the bun we had for 2 weeks who we had a failed bond :(

I have never had a Rabbit who became 'flat'/depressed as a side effect of Depocillin. It is more likely bladder discomfort that is causing him to feel off colour.

Did the Vet suggest any fluid therapy for him ? Is the UTI related to bladder sludge at all ?

Hi Jane , he was ok at the start of his injections so I gused it maybe the uti. He was feeling tender on examination. He is on twice weekly 50 ml fluids for his sludge but since fluids started about 10 months ago we haven't had any sludge problems. U think extra fluids would help at the moment? ?

Hi Jane , he was ok at the start of his injections so I gused it maybe the uti. He was feeling tender on examination. He is on twice weekly 50 ml fluids for his sludge but since fluids started about 10 months ago we haven't had any sludge problems. U think extra fluids would help at the moment? ?

It might, you could ask the Vet xx

I've only used Depo with one rabbit - Iris. Her litter training went completely out the window. But even with Depo she never recovered and we let her go when it was clear she was miserable.

The Depo didn't seem to make her go flat/depressed per se. When she reached her lowest ebb she had finished the course already.

I hope Oliver improves. xxx

For the past week he has been hiding away alot under the sofa still eatting and pooping but I am wondering if the depocillian now combined with a uti would make him feel off even more? Anyone notice depocillian makes their bun a bit more flat ?? He is doing a small amount of teeth grinding but is on 0.6ml of dog metacam a day and he weighs 1.9kg. Still think he is uncomfortable. Was thinking maybe twice a day metacam is needed. I feel so sad for him, as not sure if he also misses the bun we had for 2 weeks who we had a failed bond :(

Hi Nicky

Sorry I've only just seen this - I am sorry that Oliver is feeling flat at the moment.

I haven't had this reaction to Depocillin in a rabbit. It's usually really well tolerated.

I am surprised he has a urine infection given I know he's on twice weekly fluid therapy. Perhaps whatever is bothering him will be cleared up with the Baytril. Your vet is certainly a fan of long courses of antibiotics - which I think is a good thing in Oliver's case :)

It's true you could go up a little with the Metacam, and I will be interested to hear what the vet says.

Vibes for you ad Oliver xx

Hi Max, when I say flat I guess I mean hiding away more and more hunched though he does still loaf and lie with legs out the back too but that is done under the sofa as well. I hope it is just a uti and nothing serious. Maybe the uti is making him want to hide away while he is sore. I hope the meds kick in soon for him. Vet said I can give extravel fluids and to give him 0.4ml metacam twice a day. Does that seem enough??

Hi Max, when I say flat I guess I mean hiding away more and more hunched though he does still loaf and lie with legs out the back too but that is done under the sofa as well. I hope it is just a uti and nothing serious. Maybe the uti is making him want to hide away while he is sore. I hope the meds kick in soon for him. Vet said I can give extravel fluids and to give him 0.4ml metacam twice a day. Does that seem enough??

Meds should kick in within 2/48 hours hopefully :)

The Metacam - well it's a *little* more than 0.6ml.

I find vets have very polarised views on the amount of Metacam to give. I have known vets to give more than that.
I hope it will be enough to keep Oliver comfortable - you could ask for a higher dose in the short term perhaps?

Yes Max I know I have read so many different opinions on metacam too. We'll I came home this evening and he was very uncomfortable, hunched and closing his wee eyes so I gave him a Tramadol tablet (with my vets approval ) as when Oliver is closing his eyes in discomfort I know the metacam won't cut it. That was at 5.30pm so hope that gives him ease. I will give the metacam around 8pm as well. I will take each day at a time to see if he needs Tramadol as well. Might just be for the first few days until the Baytril kicks in. Yes my vet is very good for giving a good long course of antibiotics as I read that's important. He is currently eatting his wee hay bale now and we picked lots of hawthorn on Monday and he is loving that more than romaine.

Yes Max I know I have read so many different opinions on metacam too. We'll I came home this evening and he was very uncomfortable, hunched and closing his wee eyes so I gave him a Tramadol tablet (with my vets approval ) as when Oliver is closing his eyes in discomfort I know the metacam won't cut it. That was at 5.30pm so hope that gives him ease. I will give the metacam around 8pm as well. I will take each day at a time to see if he needs Tramadol as well. Might just be for the first few days until the Baytril kicks in. Yes my vet is very good for giving a good long course of antibiotics as I read that's important. He is currently eatting his wee hay bale now and we picked lots of hawthorn on Monday and he is loving that more than romaine.

Really glad you have the Tramdol and he's had it. That's good.

I feel for your poor wee man. And you Nicky. Perhaps the Universe decided that for the time being an Oliver was more than enough without another bun too. Hugs xx

Thank you Max, he seems a bit more comfortable now thank fully, I am so glad I have Tramadol as well. Yes I think the universe was speaking as well, Oliver needs our focus 110% right now, poor sausage. Thanks for your hugs Max xx

Lol! The sausage Oliver has improved a bit more. He still needed another Tramadol this evening but he actually went out into the garden for about 10 mins himself. He has been moving about the house a little bit more too. I think the antibiotics r hopefully starting to work :) Still peeing a bit more than usual but think less overall. Neex jt carpet cleaned again - aw well, i wont keep him out of his favourite room. I will tell the sausage pig / bead / Oliver that u were asking after him thank u, it's so nice of you to ask after him xxx

Lol! The sausage Oliver has improved a bit more. He still needed another Tramadol this evening but he actually went out into the garden for about 10 mins himself. He has been moving about the house a little bit more too. I think the antibiotics r hopefully starting to work :) Still peeing a bit more than usual but think less overall. Neex jt carpet cleaned again - aw well, i wont keep him out of his favourite room. I will tell the sausage pig / bead / Oliver that u were asking after him thank u, it's so nice of you to ask after him xxx

Lovely to hear he's improving. Even a little - it's all in the right direction :)

Oh no for the carpet cleaning! Geez I know that one :roll: Do you have a steamer?

Have you fine weather? It was awful today, yet buns still want to go out in the rain.
...and spend the rest of their day cleaning up their feet :lol:

Yes he is definitely going in the right direction , so glad , plus his appetite has improved a little more too. I told my husband u were asking after him and he said "does she want him" !! He was only joking, he loves him loads.

The weather this past week has been sun sun sun and hot! And gives it the same til at least Tuesday :) we r bein spoiled. Aw I'm sorry u r having to clean messy bun feet ! Cody was like that, rain hail or snow wouldn't stop him going out to the garden. Hope your weather improves. X

I am sending you vibes for Oliver.
When I was giving my Raven medicam once a day, I felt it was not lasting until the next dosage. We then placed him on a twice a day dosage and it seemed to work better for him.
In regards to dosing, my vet advised me that too much medicam can result in kidney problems in some individuals. That being said, when a bunny is having a lot of discomfort, you and your vet may decide to give more than you would on a daily basis.

Thank u bunny mama, yes it defo wasn't lasting 24hrs. I gave him 0.4ml this morning and last night . I am happy with this dose at the moment . Oluver was in good form thus morning, very bright and good appetite. I hope we r starting to hit the infection now. So glad to see my baby in less pain.

Yes he is definitely going in the right direction , so glad , plus his appetite has improved a little more too. I told my husband u were asking after him and he said "does she want him" !! He was only joking, he loves him loads.

The weather this past week has been sun sun sun and hot! And gives it the same til at least Tuesday :) we r bein spoiled. Aw I'm sorry u r having to clean messy bun feet ! Cody was like that, rain hail or snow wouldn't stop him going out to the garden. Hope your weather improves. X

I hope the weather improves too - I have just risked my first tomato seedling/plants in the open air :shock:

Well fancy your husband saying that - I bet you would never let him go :love::love::love:

Back