Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit on Gumtree

Default Rabbit on Gumtree

As some of you know, I recently lost two of my rabbits and have introduced my remaining two, Dennis and Bella, to each other seemingly very successfully. I have been thinking that I'll likely take on another pair of buns when it warms up a bit. Anyway tonight something made me look at Gumtree which I don't usually do - there is a rabbit on there that breaks my heart, he's being advertised as free to a good home which scares me and is pictured in a tiny (looks about 80cm if that) indoor cage. No other info, the picture isn't clear but I've left a message to say I could collect him tomorrow if he's still available. I'm scared he's already gone, wish I'd seen it sooner. He won't be neutered or vaccinated but I could do that and eventually get him a partner. I could give him a good life I think. Am I mad? I was thinking I'd like another Dutch pair but this little guy looks so sad, I can't stop thinking about him.

Gumtree is like a horror show, so many unwanted pets 😟

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by orangediva View Post
    I cannot look on Gumtree, it makes me cry.
    If you can save this bun, you will transform his/her life

I know what you mean, I didn't look at many but I saw enough. Praying my phone will ring, nothing yet.

I've done this on two occasions and now have my lovely Buffy and Dottie. I still look now and see others, so I don't think you are mad. I hope you hear back x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orangediva View Post
    As some of you know, I recently lost two of my rabbits and have introduced my remaining two, Dennis and Bella, to each other seemingly very successfully. I have been thinking that I'll likely take on another pair of buns when it warms up a bit. Anyway tonight something made me look at Gumtree which I don't usually do - there is a rabbit on there that breaks my heart, he's being advertised as free to a good home which scares me and is pictured in a tiny (looks about 80cm if that) indoor cage. No other info, the picture isn't clear but I've left a message to say I could collect him tomorrow if he's still available. I'm scared he's already gone, wish I'd seen it sooner. He won't be neutered or vaccinated but I could do that and eventually get him a partner. I could give him a good life I think. Am I mad? I was thinking I'd like another Dutch pair but this little guy looks so sad, I can't stop thinking about him.

A wonderful thought

I got an unwanted 'free' rabbit off preloved. I dread to think where he may have ended up otherwise.

If it's meant to be, I'm sure you'll get him

Warren Veteran

I can't look anymore. A couple of my friends used to tag me in things on Facebook when they saw a rabbit needing a new home too, even though there was definitely no room at the inn here. It breaks my heart there's so many.

I don't think you are mad! I think if you have a strong gut feeling to get him then it is the right decision. He could always have a dutch wife bun at some point in the future I hope it works out for you and him xxx

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm just home from work and, sadly, have heard nothing - I've been checking my phone every few minutes but am starting to think I'm too late, the ad was placed several days ago. Can't bear to think of what might have happened to him and, now I've opened Pandora's box, all the other free or "5 to ensure a good home/the kids have lost interest" bunnies on there, it's horrendous. I could no more advertise an animal member of my family on there than set them free in a park.
    I'll keep hoping I can get him - if not I have a feeling it won't be long before i have another bunny or two here.

Wise Old Thumper

Good luck with this rabbit. Sometimes people are too busy to reply!

I would ring again.

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    I would ring again.
    Yes I would ring again too. If he has gone and you ring again they are more likely to call you back to let you know.

I don't look at it breaks my heart but what you are doing is lovely. If I had space I would probably look there too. I saw that tiny baby rabbit on facebook called Wheelz who thousands fell in love with. He only had two front legs and had wheels at the back. Initially you think the owners are nice as he was lick them all the time and so loveable, but it turns out they had a farm for rabbit meat and vets said they would help Wheelz but they didn't take him and he died a few days later as they couldn't care less about him. I don't advise you google it.