• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Stones

I'm sorry, I have no experience of this but I'm sending best wishes for little Sam to get well soon x

He's eating, peeing and pooing. But his poos are really small. He stays hunched in the corner most of the day. When I let him out to play, he lays down and sleeps, does a few binkies and lays down again. Seems to be uncomfortable. It's so sad to watch such a young bunny being so sick. We are going to see our vet today to run some blood tests. I don't know what should I do to help him? I was thinking about surgery to remove these stones, but I'm really scared for him. Maybe someone has more experience with such surgeries and could give me some advice? How they went? Did bunny recovered well afterwards? I never had a bunny who would need such surgery, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

He's eating, peeing and pooing. But his poos are really small. He stays hunched in the corner most of the day. When I let him out to play, he lays down and sleeps, does a few binkies and lays down again. Seems to be uncomfortable. It's so sad to watch such a young bunny being so sick. We are going to see our vet today to run some blood tests. I don't know what should I do to help him? I was thinking about surgery to remove these stones, but I'm really scared for him. Maybe someone has more experience with such surgeries and could give me some advice? How they went? Did bunny recovered well afterwards? I never had a bunny who would need such surgery, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

I really really sympathise with you xx

However, in your position I really would try and put my faith in the advice of a really good vet who I could trust. I would obviously weigh up all the options, but with something like this I would be wary of taking the advice of us 'strangers' on the Internet. It's a serious op and you need really good professional advice on his condition, and I hope the blood tests will shed light on what should happen next.

I really hope you can see some way forward today for you both xx hugs xx

Well, he's booked for surgery. We have the best small animal surgeon in your country, so I hope everything will go well for him. I trust our vet and I know he's going to do everything to help him. His bladder stones removal surgery is sceduled for Monday. I'm worried sick. Until then I have to keep him comfortable and eating. I have some pain meds, so I can give him everyday. If his condition gets worse, they are going to do an emergency op for him.

Well, he's booked for surgery. We have the best small animal surgeon in your country, so I hope everything will go well for him. I trust our vet and I know he's going to do everything to help him. His bladder stones removal surgery is sceduled for Monday. I'm worried sick. Until then I have to keep him comfortable and eating. I have some pain meds, so I can give him everyday. If his condition gets worse, they are going to do an emergency op for him.

That's a long wait - for you .. It's stressful I know.

I hope he doesn't need to go in as an emergency and you can keep him happy till next week x

I hope so too. I just can't believe this is happening. I never thought that such a young bunny could be having stones in his bladder. It's a long wait for me, but I'm more scared what's going to happen after the surgery. I never had to take care of a rabbit post-surgery. So I'm not sure how I'm going to live through that? Syringe feeding isn't too hard, but when he's going to be all stitched up, I'll be scared to move him. I can only imagine how hard it's going to be for him to recover. I'm super scared, but those stones aren't going anywhere without a surgery. So I have to hope for the best. I wish they could have done the surgery this week, but a lot of vets are sick, cause it's flu season in our country, so they can't do it this week.

I hope so too. I just can't believe this is happening. I never thought that such a young bunny could be having stones in his bladder. It's a long wait for me, but I'm more scared what's going to happen after the surgery. I never had to take care of a rabbit post-surgery. So I'm not sure how I'm going to live through that? Syringe feeding isn't too hard, but when he's going to be all stitched up, I'll be scared to move him. I can only imagine how hard it's going to be for him to recover. I'm super scared, but those stones aren't going anywhere without a surgery. So I have to hope for the best. I wish they could have done the surgery this week, but a lot of vets are sick, cause it's flu season in our country, so they can't do it this week.

Thanks for your PM. I will reply later this afternoon xx

Yes he is rather young :(

You will certainly live through looking after him post surgery, and you can contact me any time :) You won't need to be scared, we will help you through this xx

A little update on Sam. He's pretty much the same. Eats mostly his lettuces, pea and carrot flakes, hay, dried dandelions. He stays hunched in his cage, reluctant to stretch his hind legs out. Seems to be drinking less water, no straining, no blood in his urine. When I let him out of his cage, he runs around, does binkies and seems to be interested in his surroundings.
I managed to get him an ultrasound at different vet and he said there's no stones in his bladder. Our vet also did an ultrasound, but she couldn't see no stones either, so no surgery. Today we did a blood test and his BUN levels are really low (3.3 mmol/L). So vets don't know what's wrong with him. I've no idea what kind of health issue he's having here. Maybe someone could give me an advice?

A little update on Sam. He's pretty much the same. Eats mostly his lettuces, pea and carrot flakes, hay, dried dandelions. He stays hunched in his cage, reluctant to stretch his hind legs out. Seems to be drinking less water, no straining, no blood in his urine. When I let him out of his cage, he runs around, does binkies and seems to be interested in his surroundings.
I managed to get him an ultrasound at different vet and he said there's no stones in his bladder. Our vet also did an ultrasound, but she couldn't see no stones either, so no surgery. Today we did a blood test and his BUN levels are really low (3.3 mmol/L). So vets don't know what's wrong with him. I've no idea what kind of health issue he's having here. Maybe someone could give me an advice?

Thanks for the PM, did the Vet comment on any other part of the blood test results that relate to Liver function ? BUN stands for blood urea nitrogen and an increase occurs if the kidneys are not functioning well. A decrease can occur due to liver disease/damage.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Hematology/Parameters/BUN_values.htm

Hence my question about other blood parameters ?

Well, his other blood parameters seems to be in order, just ALP slightly elevated, but vet said it's nothing to worry about if other liver parameters are normal. His abdomen is not bloated, liver not enlarged, X-ray shows nothing abnormal. I'm not sure what I should be doing next.

Well, his other blood parameters seems to be in order, just ALP slightly elevated, but vet said it's nothing to worry about if other liver parameters are normal. His abdomen is not bloated, liver not enlarged, X-ray shows nothing abnormal. I'm not sure what I should be doing next.

What are his symptoms now ?

He's not eating his pellets, not excited to see his food or me when I come to him. He eats, but only little amounts now and then, likes to eat more in the evening, produces smaller feaces of iregular size, sometimes with fur in them, cecals are normal and he eats them almost all the time. Staying hunched most of the time while he's in his cage, I let him out in the evening for as much as he wants (he goes in his cage and stays there if he doesn't want to stay outside anymore). Also he likes to eat cardboard more than usual. While he's out, he likes to explore, runs around and does his binkies. When he goes to his cage he drinks his water and hops on his little house, just hunches there, not stretching his hind legs out. It looks to me that it hurts something when he stretches his legs, because he seems uncomfortable and tries to find the right position for himself. Also does something with his mouth, like he would be chewing on something, but he's not. Sometimes he does a weird thing, he stretches his legs and seems to be sleeping, but starts to "twitch" (don't know how to explain), like moving while you dream. Also I noticed he sometimes pee on his wooden house, not much, but it's stained now. So that pretty much all. He'sbeen acting like that for almost 2 months.

It's certainly a conundrum ... poor you - it seems you've done everything you can to diagnose.

Thank you for your PM and I shall respond very shortly :)

Back