• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female bun with suspected bladder sludge

elaine84

Warren Scout
I have two boys and a girl all bonded. My female keeps going off her food every couple of months and in December the vet said she had sludge but no visible stones (on an ultrasound). So she had antibiotics, metacam, and she’s been on a low calcium diet and been doing well, but tonight she’s off her food again and I have noticed some little wees on the mats in their room (they’re house buns) so I’m guessing it’s her. I picked some grass and gave her metacam and she’s finally eaten some of the grass. I due to have a c section in one day and I’m so stressed out, I have the hospital tomorrow too and there’s no one else to help me out (partner working away). How can I stop this happening? And is there anything else I can give her to get her eating more tonight? Maybe I should syringe feed? She was pooing normally earlier. Do sub w fluids help flush out a bladder?
In December the vet said there was blood in her urine but not in a direct bladder sample which indicates it came from the urethra, ie irritation from sludge passing through. I don’t really know what I’m asking I just feel really overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your stressful situation. With bladder sludge it can cause frequent bouts of cystitis with or without infection. Pain then causing the Rabbit to stop eating and their GI tract slowing down. The Metacam should help, but she really does need to be examined by a Vet again. If a lot of sludge has built up it could be too thick to pass and this can mean that the bladder cannot empty and stones will eventually develop. After examination she might need to be catheterised to flush out her bladder, more X-rays to to insure stones have not now formed.

Syringe feeding should only be done once any chance of a GI tract obstruction has been ruled out. Again this requires an examination by a Vet.

Is there someone who could take her to a Vet for you ?

Things that can be done to try to reduce the bladder sludge problems are dietary modification, encouraging a good water intake. If you are in a hard water area then a low calcium bottled water would be preferable to tap water. Exercise is also important. The more sedentary the Rabbit the more likely it is that a lot of calcium deposits accumulate in the bladder.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default...gy-Bladder-RVC-factsheet-published-062021.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/LiquidMg/Liquid_magnesium.htm

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/supreme-sci...xf0T58IhTKFY5Q5MdpFeQqniQO-j0efBoCmvQQAvD_BwE

Thank you for your reply. What would cystitis without infection be? painful urination? I’m going to try and get her into the vet at 8am tomorrow as soon as they open and before the hospital, I can’t leave the house tonight and there’s no one who can take her to the vet for me :( I feel so bad and worried. I’ve always gone to emergency vets even in the middle of the night but my current situation means I can’t :’(

Thank you for your reply. What would cystitis without infection be? painful urination? I’m going to try and get her into the vet at 8am tomorrow as soon as they open and before the hospital, I can’t leave the house tonight and there’s no one who can take her to the vet for me :( I feel so bad and worried. I’ve always gone to emergency vets even in the middle of the night but my current situation means I can’t :’(

Yes, cystitis without infection is inflammation of the bladder and lower UT and passing wee hurts. Passing gritty calcium deposits just makes the inflammation and discomfort worse. I hope the Vet can help her to feel more comfortable later this morning, it’s 3am now and I have only just seen your last post hence my delayed reply.

Thank you I appreciate it. I’ll let you know what the vet says. Does no infection mean it’s just treated with anti inflammatory rather than antibiotics?
She seems a lot perkier this morning and has had some bits to eat, now hopping around the lounge

Last edited:
Thank you I appreciate it. I’ll let you know what the vet says. Does no infection mean it’s just treated with anti inflammatory rather than antibiotics?
She seems a lot perkier this morning and has had some bits to eat, now hopping around the lounge

The Vet will need to check a wee sample for infection. The Metacam will have helped reduce the pain and inflammation. If the urine test shows infection she’ll need Antibiotics too. Given her history the Vet might want to run a full blood profile and take another abdominal X-ray x

My bridge bunny used to have bouts of cystitis, with no infection, and a course of anti inflammatory used to clear it up. I hope your bunny gets on ok at the vets, and good luck for yourself. Sending you both lots of vibes x

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny. I hope you can get her to the vet this morning.

Thanks everyone for your replies and well wishes. My bun was eating and running around today so I got an afternoon appointment rather than an emergency one. They’ve put her on metacam and antibiotics just to be on the safe side while I’m in hospital the next few days (my partner will have to give it to her). If it doesn’t clear up or keeps recurring then they’ll investigate further.
@Pets_mum did you find out what used to cause the cystitis? Or did you just keep anti inflammatory meds on standby?

Thanks everyone for your replies and well wishes. My bun was eating and running around today so I got an afternoon appointment rather than an emergency one. They’ve put her on metacam and antibiotics just to be on the safe side while I’m in hospital the next few days (my partner will have to give it to her). If it doesn’t clear up or keeps recurring then they’ll investigate further.
@Pets_mum did you find out what used to cause the cystitis? Or did you just keep anti inflammatory meds on standby?

Glad to hear that your bunny has been eating and running around, and hopefully the meds will make a difference. No there wasn't an obvious cause for my bun getting it, but she was an older girl, a course of metacam cleared hers up.

Good luck in hospital, hope everything goes ok , I'm sure your partner will cope fine looking after your bun.

Back