• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying questions

Bulibby

New Kit
I just got Pippa spayed yesterday and I know that it will take her a little bit to get back to normal so I want to make her as comfortable as possible. She hasn't eaten anything or drunk anything for about 24 hours but she has gone to the toilet I haven't seen any sign of pee but she has done poos. Her poos are really small about half the normal sign and they are moister than normal. I was wondering why her poos are like this and how I could get her to start eating and drinking? The vet also get us some pain killers that we have to give her every morning which is really difficult because she doesn't like to be touched or held so she is getting really stressed out. We managed to catch her this morning but I would like to know if anyone has any advise on how to pick her up with the least amount of stress or pain.

I just got Pippa spayed yesterday and I know that it will take her a little bit to get back to normal so I want to make her as comfortable as possible. She hasn't eaten anything or drunk anything for about 24 hours but she has gone to the toilet I haven't seen any sign of pee but she has done poos. Her poos are really small about half the normal sign and they are moister than normal. I was wondering why her poos are like this and how I could get her to start eating and drinking? The vet also get us some pain killers that we have to give her every morning which is really difficult because she doesn't like to be touched or held so she is getting really stressed out. We managed to catch her this morning but I would like to know if anyone has any advise on how to pick her up with the least amount of stress or pain.

Hello

If Pippa has not eaten anything for herself for 24 hours then you need to contact your Vet. Pippa will need syringe feeding and she may also require some additional medication to get her GI tract moving properly again. Lack of urine output is another thing that the Vet needs to assess. If Pippa is very hard to handle the Vet may suggest admitting her again so that the Vet Nurses can administer the syringe feeds/medication.

So my advice would be to give the Vet a call now.

Good luck x

Hi Bulibby - I'm glad Pippa has been spayed and what she is experiencing is very common. You may have to syringe feed her for a day or two, but with the painkillers she should begin eating for herself. When is her post op check up with the vet scheduled for?

Some Youtube videos might help you to find a good way to medicate without stressing or over handling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ-r_yoJX5A

One thing you can do to make it more palatable is to add a bit of Ella's Kitchen baby food into the syringe. Bananas or Strawberry and Blueberry go down well here :)

Alternatively, put all the meds onto a malted shreddie, or a small piece of toast and watch it go down.

Keep her warm - this weather, and after an op, that's essential!

Good luck xx

I've just checked on her again and she has done a pee and I noticed she drunk some of the water I had left for her under my bed where she feels safe. She has also eaten a treat that was under there but hasn't eaten anything I left for her that isn't under my bed so I put her food under next to her water to see if she eats it. If she hasn't eaten it by the morning I will phone the vets. The vet didn't mention anything about a post op check up should I schedule one?

I've just checked on her again and she has done a pee and I noticed she drunk some of the water I had left for her under my bed where she feels safe. She has also eaten a treat that was under there but hasn't eaten anything I left for her that isn't under my bed so I put her food under next to her water to see if she eats it. If she hasn't eaten it by the morning I will phone the vets. The vet didn't mention anything about a post op check up should I schedule one?

It sounds like she's hardly eating anything, it's important she sees a vet straight away as bunnies systems need to be moving constantly. Let us know how you get on (to be honest I'd be tempted to take her to the vet straight away rather than waiting til morning).

It sounds like she's hardly eating anything, it's important she sees a vet straight away as bunnies systems need to be moving constantly. Let us know how you get on (to be honest I'd be tempted to take her to the vet straight away rather than waiting til morning).
The vet is closed now and even if it wasn't I don't think my mum would let me take her since it's so late. I've put lots of different treats and food and hay under my bed in the hope she will take it as she is seeming more like herself but unfortunately we're going to have to wait for the vets.

Do you have any syringes at all so you can syringe feed her? Has she passed any poos at all today or been given pain relief? I agree with martlou that it doesn't sound like she has eaten very much at all and they do go downhill very quickly with gut slowdown/stasis. If I were in your position I would try and get her seen tonight. If you phone your usual vet they should have an answer machine message with details of emergency vet cover. If you explain to your mum that it's getting urgent then hopefully she will agree to take her.

In the meantime, keep trying to tempt her with food. Poorly bunnies tend to prefer fresh food likes herbs and forage so try her with some of that. If you don't have any critical care to syringe feed then ground down pellets mixed with water will work just as well.

Good luck, I hope she starts to eat more soon.

Yes definitely phone the vet :)

Regarding a post op consult - there should be an appointment (free of charge) already made for her to be checked up by a vet post spay. Usually 2/3 days after.

Ring and ask tomorrow. It's really important they know that she isn't eating, as it's serious.

Good luck xx

The vet is closed now and even if it wasn't I don't think my mum would let me take her since it's so late. I've put lots of different treats and food and hay under my bed in the hope she will take it as she is seeming more like herself but unfortunately we're going to have to wait for the vets.

Has Pippa managed to eat anything overnight ?

She ate the carrot I left for her and I'm sure I heard her eating some hay and she ate a couple of the treats I left but barely any. I tried hand feeding them to her this morning and she took them so I tried hand feeding different food but she won't take anything else. I'm trying to get my mum to let me take her to the vet but she's unsure because Pippa is eating even though it's not much.

Please show your mum this thread. It's extremely important that she is seen by the vet. I don't want to frighten you but this is a serious situation. Good luck x

She ate the carrot I left for her and I'm sure I heard her eating some hay and she ate a couple of the treats I left but barely any. I tried hand feeding them to her this morning and she took them so I tried hand feeding different food but she won't take anything else. I'm trying to get my mum to let me take her to the vet but she's unsure because Pippa is eating even though it's not much.

I really hope you can persuade your Mum. I'm glad she's eaten a little, but she will need some help to get her gut moving and more input and output.

It really is a serious situation and painful for a rabbit.

Wishing you good luck xx

I took her to the vets on Saturday and they gave her an injection and fluid under her skin in case she was hydrated. They also gave us some stuff to syringe fed with which meant I had to keep her in so I could catch her easier, which has meant I have been able to keep a because she seems n eye on her easier too. I notice today she is a lot better with eating but she still isn't pooing as much as she used too and she is drinking but no where near what she used to and I can't find pee in her litter tray but she is digging in it so I don't know if its just hidden. Apart from her being scared every time I go to her cage because she hates being picked up and not drinking enough she seems completely normal. What could be the reason for her not drinking and is there anyway way of getting her drinking without going back to the vets again?

I took her to the vets on Saturday and they gave her an injection and fluid under her skin in case she was hydrated. They also gave us some stuff to syringe fed with which meant I had to keep her in so I could catch her easier, which has meant I have been able to keep a because she seems n eye on her easier too. I notice today she is a lot better with eating but she still isn't pooing as much as she used too and she is drinking but no where near what she used to and I can't find pee in her litter tray but she is digging in it so I don't know if its just hidden. Apart from her being scared every time I go to her cage because she hates being picked up and not drinking enough she seems completely normal. What could be the reason for her not drinking and is there anyway way of getting her drinking without going back to the vets again?

Veggies, herbs, fresh grass all have a lot of moisture content so if she's getting those I wouldn't worry.

Does she have a bottle or a bowl? Can you syringe a bit of water at meds time too?

As she had fluids injected under her skin she probably just does not feel thirsty. All of my Rabbits will drink A LOT more if Avipro Plus is added to their water

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

Back