• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tramadol and Metacam

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Can I administer these two together in the same syringe? Mini's arthritis in her hip is getting worse so now she's on two painkillers. :( she doesn't like the tramadol though :S

I had it in tablet form for Lola was much easier to get it into her. Could you maybe mix it with baby food to make it taste nicer? :wave:

I feed Barney tramadol at the same time as the metacam, I mix them both into soaked excel pellets (mixed in whilst still wet), along with gut stimulants and bisolvon - my vet said they shouldn't interact with each other.

Barney hates the taste of tramadol - but I find mashed banana, critical care and soaked excel pellets are the best for disguising the taste. Critical Care was the best but it got too expensive as I was going through a big pack each month.

KayleighJennifer, she's got a liquid form so that should be a bit easier to hide in food. 'll keep the baby food in mind, thanks :)

Nessar, That's interesting, her weight has gone down too so Im giving her oats once a day. Maybe I could give her slightly less and give it to her twice a day with the metacam and tramadol mixed in. Might try that in the morning. Tried mixing the two tonight and she wouldn't have it so I'm going to have to try with something extra tasty! hope Barney is doing ok :)

KayleighJennifer, she's got a liquid form so that should be a bit easier to hide in food. 'll keep the baby food in mind, thanks :)

Nessar, That's interesting, her weight has gone down too so Im giving her oats once a day. Maybe I could give her slightly less and give it to her twice a day with the metacam and tramadol mixed in. Might try that in the morning. Tried mixing the two tonight and she wouldn't have it so I'm going to have to try with something extra tasty! hope Barney is doing ok :)

Not totally related, but the oats, is it just standard oats, and are they soaked 1st before? I am considering them for Hollie as she has lost a bit of weight through having her tooth root issues / abscess / being on daily Metacam. Thanks x

Just standard oats, I make sure there is always plenty of water on hand but I haven't noticed her drinking more than usual. I'm also giving them extra pellets. Smudge had lost a little weight but not a lot but he doesn't mind having extra!!

When I mixed the baytril in with metacam recently Doughnut could still smell it or taste it. I added it to her infracol which disguises a lot of smells and taste as it's sweet and orange flavour. It wouldn't do any harm if you add some of that in to mask it. I normally use weetabix but the infracol seems to be the best bet for me now.

Just standard oats, I make sure there is always plenty of water on hand but I haven't noticed her drinking more than usual. I'm also giving them extra pellets. Smudge had lost a little weight but not a lot but he doesn't mind having extra!!

Thank you, I will get some from my Gran tomorrow and try her with some.

I had it in tablet form for Lola was much easier to get it into her. Could you maybe mix it with baby food to make it taste nicer? :wave:
Someone on here suggested using a brand called Ella's Kitchen. They do a couple of different bunny-safe flavours and are (according to the ingredients) pure fruit with nothing added. I've used the apple, pear and carrot flavours for my girls. Maple and Jazzie like it, though they'd rather have a raisin :p. Recently tried my young Lunar on it and she won't touch it, but I think that has more to do with the fact she knows what's in the rest of the syringe :lol: Turn's out she's a very smart girl!
Other rabbits seem to like it though so might be worth a try. I know Asda and Morrisons definitely sell it :) Think they're around 79p as singles? But can be stored in the cupboard before being opened or even frozen. So good to have one (once you know what flavour yours likes) stored just in case.

Tramadol is evil, i'm on a silly strong dose - hope it doesnt affect bunnies like it does me! :shock:

Poor Mini :( i'd go with a little mashed up banana to hide it in, personally :)

I tried with the oats this morning and it worked perfectly! Popped the tramadol in in a few places, then the metacam and top and she took the whole lot as easy as pie :D

Tramadol is evil, i'm on a silly strong dose - hope it doesnt affect bunnies like it does me! :shock:

Hi Gray! how's Joshua? Hope you're all doing ok.

She's only on a small dose, 0.1. Vet nurse did warn me it might make her sleepy (to which I almost replied that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference as she sleeps a lot anyway, typical lazy lop!) but she's been fine on it. If anything she seems less sleepy!

I tried with the oats this morning and it worked perfectly! Popped the tramadol in in a few places, then the metacam and top and she took the whole lot as easy as pie :D

Hi Gray! how's Joshua? Hope you're all doing ok.

She's only on a small dose, 0.1. Vet nurse did warn me it might make her sleepy (to which I almost replied that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference as she sleeps a lot anyway, typical lazy lop!) but she's been fine on it. If anything she seems less sleepy!

Hiya :)

There's a couple of threads, to save me going into details, but he's 'ok' right now :)

Tramadol makes me drunk, im typing this while at work feeling off my face, its great, but not amazing for doing my job as its reather technical! :oops:

Hope you and all of yorus are ok!

Hiya :)

There's a couple of threads, to save me going into details, but he's 'ok' right now :)

Tramadol makes me drunk, im typing this while at work feeling off my face, its great, but not amazing for doing my job as its reather technical! :oops:

Hope you and all of yorus are ok!

I'll go and have a look for them :)

We're ok apart from Mini's hip :) I'm working freelance p/t now so don't get much time to come on here as either working, sorting out my allotment plot or resting :)

Elena what's the brand you're using?
I was looking for a liquid version, barney's on 50mg capsules, he has 45mg (ish) twice a day.

Barney does really well on it, doesn't seem to make him sleepy, in fact when he first started taking it he used to go a bit nuts for a couple of hours after his meds. He binkied for the first time in years :) think he's been on it around 10 months now. Hopefully Minnie will benefit from it too.

When you have daily meds, I just find its so much easier to find a food to hide it in rather than stress them out with syringes. Good that she takes it with the oats.

I'm afraid I don't know. I only have a few week's worth, so it's in a brown bottle where the vet dispensed it. I'll have another look at the label but I don't think it says on there. She's on 0.1ml twice a day along with 0.4ml metacam. She's 1.1kg last time we were at the vets, she used to be around 1.5kg.

I think I'd melt completely if she did a binky!! :love: so glad to hear he's doing well :D

Back