• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flickering eyes - no ec

Stress can exacerbate nystagmus. He may have lost quite alot of his vision now due to all his eye problems. This too could be a contributory factor to the eye movements.

Stress can exacerbate nystagmus. He may have lost quite alot of his vision now due to all his eye problems. This too could be a contributory factor to the eye movements.

Thank you. Timmy is fine the rest of the time. Even when I pick him up to take him in at night his eyes have been fine. Hopefully the blood results will be back tomorrow.

Sorry to keep updating every little thing, but Timmy has been acting quite odd this morning. He is still eating and pooing fine, but when I went to put him in the run this morning he didn't seem to realise I was there. Usually he comes running over because he knows food is involved but this morning he just stayed in his box until I touched him. I thought perhaps he was just having a long sleep this morning and hadn't woken up, but I went to him a few times and he acted the same way.

I am getting worried now that this might be a brain problem. Thinking on it, this isn't the first time Timmy has appeared to be in his own little world but usually he doesn't eat when it happens. Within a few hours he is usually fine.

Could he hear you, as in did you make noise? Its possible his sight is very limited now and it takes the other senses a while to adjust. Before my Blind bun bailey was diagnosed I could get really close to him before he had any idea I was there, it would often startle him which was what prompted me to have it checked in the first place.

Could he hear you, as in did you make noise? Its possible his sight is very limited now and it takes the other senses a while to adjust. Before my Blind bun bailey was diagnosed I could get really close to him before he had any idea I was there, it would often startle him which was what prompted me to have it checked in the first place.

I was making a lot of noise, because I think it is the noise that he reacts to most. I always natter away to him so he knows I'm there, but there was no response this morning.

Some of the blood results are back, and everything seems out :(. The ec isn't back yet, but his bloods show the start of kidney problems (I assume the metacam dose), the calcium was very slightly up, something else was up that showed there was muscle wastage (he does sit around most of the time when in the run, which is 9 x 5), and either the potassium or phosphorus is over 1100 instead of just over 300. I was out shopping when the vet phoned so can't remember some of what he said.

He wants to wait until the ec results are back, but he is still thinking there's a neurological problem especially after I described today's event. He wants to get Timmy back in another 2-3 weeks for another blood test to see how things are when he has been eating ok.

I was making a lot of noise, because I think it is the noise that he reacts to most. I always natter away to him so he knows I'm there, but there was no response this morning.

Some of the blood results are back, and everything seems out :(. The ec isn't back yet, but his bloods show the start of kidney problems (I assume the metacam dose), the calcium was very slightly up, something else was up that showed there was muscle wastage (he does sit around most of the time when in the run, which is 9 x 5), and either the potassium or phosphorus is over 1100 instead of just over 300. I was out shopping when the vet phoned so can't remember some of what he said.

He wants to wait until the ec results are back, but he is still thinking there's a neurological problem especially after I described today's event. He wants to get Timmy back in another 2-3 weeks for another blood test to see how things are when he has been eating ok.

Metacam is unlikely to hurt his kidneys. It is much more of a problem to cats and dogs but rabbits seem to cope very well on long term/high doses. I don't know if the meds would change the blood results but I know stress does. If he is stressed then it may account for some of the odd results but I do think these things want looking into.
E.C does affect the kidneys so this is certainly something to think about.

Is he being treated as if he has E.C?

Sending tons of vibes for him. x

Metacam can be quite hard on the kidneys, but failing kidneys can also be caused by other things, such as EC or ageing.

I'm sorry you're so worried about him. Poor Timmy, I hope he'll be OK x

Thanks for the replies. Timmy has had the blood test for ec, the one that tells us if he has an active infection. The results should be back today.

Timmy's age is unknown. I've had him for about 4 years now and he was grown then. One of the vets I see thinks Timmy is an older bun at about 8+, another thinks about 6. I would go more towards the 8 I think.

Both age and Ec could explain the kidneys and muscle wastage. Ec would more likely fit the neurological side but if he's on metcam wouldn't that keep the inflammation to the brain (caused by the parasite) under control? I really hope you get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for the replies. Timmy has had the blood test for ec, the one that tells us if he has an active infection. The results should be back today.

Timmy's age is unknown. I've had him for about 4 years now and he was grown then. One of the vets I see thinks Timmy is an older bun at about 8+, another thinks about 6. I would go more towards the 8 I think.

Hope you get the results from the vet today.

The vet phoned a couple of hours ago. Timmy's ec blood test has come back negative :D. So relieved. He also said one of the results from yesterday showed low calcium levels, not high levels that I thought he said.

The vet wants to do another blood test on Timmy next week, if he continues to have weird episodes or blanks out. He said the blood levels that came back could cause them.

Timmy has been fine today. No episodes. When I am staring at him to check his eyes he now stares back to begin with, then closes his eyes :roll: I think he wants me to back off a bit :lol:

Glad to hear that Timmy does not have EC. :)
Seems odd to me that a bun would have low calcium levels. Isn't all their diet usually high in it? Hence why one sees bladder sludge sometimes.
Really hoping further tests give some insight into exactly what is going wrong. More vibes for Timmy! :love: xxxx

I am glad that the EC test was negative :) Aswell as the low calcium levels did the vet mention anything about his Liver enzymes/Liver function ?

I hope that Timmy will remain well now and that he wont have any more 'odd episodes' xx

Thank you both.

He didn't mention the liver, but did keep mentioning that the sample had clotted when it got to the lab. I have a feeling that he is wanting another test done because the results of this one maybe aren't accurate :?.

I will see how Timmy goes, but back off a bit with checking his eyes because he is getting spooked by it.

Thank you both.

He didn't mention the liver, but did keep mentioning that the sample had clotted when it got to the lab. I have a feeling that he is wanting another test done because the results of this one maybe aren't accurate :?.

I will see how Timmy goes, but back off a bit with checking his eyes because he is getting spooked by it.

Glad to read that his EC test is negative. That's something anyway. I suspect that his kidneys were OK? Unless of course the blood test proved inaccurate as you said might have happened .. I expect the vet would be able to confirm ..

Good luck ongoing

Glad to read that his EC test is negative. That's something anyway. I suspect that his kidneys were OK? Unless of course the blood test proved inaccurate as you said might have happened .. I expect the vet would be able to confirm ..

Good luck ongoing

The bloods seemed to show the start of "kidney problems" but the vet isn't sure how accurate this is. The blood being clotted seems to be an issue, and Timmy was dehydrated when the bloods were taken. The vet is now seems to be questioning the results because of both of these, so I don't know what to think :?

Timmy has been fine for the last couple of days, and that's the main thing.

Back