• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh No ! My Ferni Bun sneezed white snot :(

Hi.. Thankyou all so much for your replies and advice :D
This is turning as much into a Behavior / Bonding thread, as much as Health.

We did manage to get to the vet okay.. and as Zoobec said.. the worst bit was getting them into the box at home.
Once at the vet's we did everything on the floor, and the Buns were very good, I'm so so pleased I took them in together, as they really did seem to benefit from being together, and I know Forest would have just bossed Ferni around when she got back, cos he is quite 'king of the bunny ranch' when at home.

So, both Buns were checked.. Ferni does have URTI.. but it doesn't seem to have moved to the lungs, which is good - hopefully caught early enough. Forest is displaying no symptoms (asymptomatic)

We are starting with the conclusion that it is Pasturella, which is present in all buns, but because Ferni is hyper-stressy and Forest is calm, relaxed and confindent.. her immune system isn't coping as well as his - stress related.

I have Baytril for Ferni .. and will see how it goes over the next 10 days... if it gets worse, or there is no improvement i'll ask for a nose swab.

I'm giving Echinacea drops on some apple at the mo.. they like it. Thankyou Mighty Max for the advice

Thanks for reading guys, and thankyou RU X So far so good.

ETA : I've just got some banana and pineapple for the meds ( if Ferni wont put up with syringe feeding )
I've heard they are better for the digestion... higher in fibre / less sugar than apple... so less likely to slow the gut ( on top of the baytril ) but not sure ?

Good, I'm glad you all made it to the vet and it was a productive visit!

Re the syringe feeding, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a tough Bunny Mom and always give them their meds (whatever it is) direct into their mouths. I then give them a treat so they forget about the nasty taste pretty quickly.

However, if you're really struggling, putting it onto a malted shreddie apparently works well too, although I've never tried it.

I think the important thing is to get her to take the meds, and a little bit of sugar in the fruit (so long as it's just a morsel) is unlikely to do any harm.

Good luck and I hope she gets better soon :)

Bless.. actually she responded quite well when I played 'tough bunny mom' earlier today :)

I think it's me that has to build in confidence, not just her.. this may turn out to be a totally bonding experience.

I'll make sure she gets those meds :D

Bless.. actually she responded quite well when I played 'tough bunny mom' earlier today :)

I think it's me that has to build in confidence, not just her.. this may turn out to be a totally bonding experience.

I'll make sure she gets those meds :D

That sounds like a lovely outcome :love:

That's what happened with me and Lopsy! :D

Yes.. traumatic, yet life affirming, for all X

Hope Lopsy is improving daily, as is your relationship with him ... 'when the going gets tough, you know who your friends are' ;)

Edited to add : Ferni is still in the early processes of learning this fact.

Last edited:
Hope Lopsy is improving daily, as is your relationship with him
It is much better now: he even forgave after I came home smelling of cat(s), but he wouldn't let me stay with him while I smelt of cat! Not surprising! I was hoping to do some reading upstairs in his room but the thumping responses to what I can only assume was the smell of cats from where I'd been overnight (at a friends' house) meant I went back downstairs!

It's all about hard fruits with Lopsy: he'll forgive almost anything for a piece of apple or pear!

Back