• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fragrant hedge. Rabbit friendly

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
Hello. I want to plant a good sized hedge at the bottom of the garden. The rabbits dont have access to the garden at all but I would like to grow stuff that smells lovely and that is good for them to eat so that we can all enjoy it.

Any ideas??? I know they like roses so will be putting a few of those in. I guess hawthorne would be good as well.

Can they have honeysucke, jasmine or clematis??? (Bet they cant).

Thank you.

A lavender hedge would be your best bet :thumb:.

eta - NO to honeysuckle, jasmine and cematis.

By good size, do you mean long or tall?

Whilst they can't eat honeysucke, jasmine or clematis there is not reason why you couldn't grow those through plants they can eat. I've got a clematis growing through a hazel tree (for example). As the rabbits don't have access you could easily mix and match. That way you can get all the things you want. I think if you stick only to things that meet all the criteria you'll have a very limited choice.

Thank you all. Good point about mixing Tamsin. I want a tall, fat hedge to make a boundary. Will probabley put in some hawthorn as it will grow quickly. We back on to a church yard and I want to ensure that people dont climb up through our garden.

Rosa rugosa is gorgeous. Will certainly get some of that. Thanks Parsnipbun.

I love the idea of lavender Mackers. Its looks soooo pretty and bees like it. Excellent.

The landlord has said I can do what I like with the garden!!!!

Clematis montana rubens is the one we have growing through our hedge, its pretty fast spreading and when it flowers is absolutely covered.

Back