• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny-safe balcony flooring

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
So, the outdoor rugs on my balcony have become really dirty after 3 winters outside, and they aren't likely to ever get clean again, so I was looking for something more durable. I found these:

And they get really good reviews, but they're made of a wood-plastic composite, and my worry is that Casper will think it's fully wood and he'll chew and ingest it. He has never had any interest in chewing hard plastic, but sometimes he'll chew wooden stuff. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing who can tell me how woody/plastic-y this is?

My second option would be one of those fake grass carpets; so not actual fake grass, but just basically a green carpet for outdoors:

But that seems very chewable and not safe to ingest, either.

I'd put some cotton rugs over the tiles or the carpet when he's allowed outside to protect his sore hocks, so that shouldn't be much of an issue, but there'd likely still be some spots where he could access it and chew it, so I want to be sure it's safe. Any other ideas are very welcome, too!

I've got some very heavy duty outdoor carpet on the allotment paths. I suspect it might be a bit rough on delicate bunny feet, but it's really robust stuff and looks good for years. If they didn't chew the previous rugs, they may not be interested in the carpet.

The stuff I've got is Nottsward -usually used in playgrounds. The label I found on the roll says it was made in 2004 and it still looks really good.

Last edited:
When I've seen things made out of composite in person they look wooden but feel plastic (to me) ...so i'm thinking if I wouldn't mistake them as wood ,Casper certainly wouldn't ....but who knows with bunnies, they always retain the capacity to surprise you 🤣

I've got some very heavy duty outdoor carpet on the allotment paths. I suspect it might be a bit rough on delicate bunny feet, but it's really robust stuff and looks good for years. If they didn't chew the previous rugs, they may not be interested in the carpet.

The stuff I've got is Nottsward -usually used in playgrounds. The label I found on the roll says it was made in 2004 and it still looks really good.
Ooh, that's interesting. That's a good point that since Casper hasn't chewed the current rugs he might not be interested in chewing carpet, either. I looked up Nottsward and it looks really good, though I can't find anywhere that sells it. When it rains, does it stay wet or does the water have somewhere to go? That's what I like about the tiles, that the water has somewhere to go so it would dry quickly after it rains.

When I've seen things made out of composite in person they look wooden but feel plastic (to me) ...so i'm thinking if I wouldn't mistake them as wood ,Casper certainly wouldn't ....but who knows with bunnies, they always retain the capacity to surprise you 🤣
Ah, that's really good to know! It does seem likely that if a human wouldn't mistake something for wood, a rabbit definitely wouldn't, although, yes, they're full of surprises. 🤣 I've been assuming they'd know whether it's wood or plastic by the smell... You wouldn't happen to remember how it smelled, do you? 😁

Water goes straight through the Nottsward. It's a bit like a those green pan scrubbers in construction. Easy to cut with a standard carpet knife & just put it where you want it. I think Nottsward is an old brand, but they still make similar stuff. There are lighter weight versions as well, but they may not stay in place so well and may therefore provide more nibbling opportunities. I woud look at a sample before you commit to buy.

i'm not sure I smelt it to be honest. I'm guessing not but it is only a guess. I might text my friend and ask her to sniff her new composite door 🤣

Water goes straight through the Nottsward. It's a bit like a those green pan scrubbers in construction. Easy to cut with a standard carpet knife & just put it where you want it. I think Nottsward is an old brand, but they still make similar stuff. There are lighter weight versions as well, but they may not stay in place so well and may therefore provide more nibbling opportunities. I woud look at a sample before you commit to buy.
Oh, I see! That does sound pretty useful, then. I've been looking at outdoor carpet and found some that I think I like, so I'll order some samples. That's good idea. That way I can test whether Casper will chew it, too.

i'm not sure I smelt it to be honest. I'm guessing not but it is only a guess. I might text my friend and ask her to sniff her new composite door 🤣
I guess that would make sense for you not to smell it; why would you, really. 🤣 Your friend might get a bit concerned about you if you ask her that out of nowhere. 🤣

Oh, I see! That does sound pretty useful, then. I've been looking at outdoor carpet and found some that I think I like, so I'll order some samples. That's good idea. That way I can test whether Casper will chew it, too.

I guess that would make sense for you not to smell it; why would you, really. 🤣 Your friend might get a bit concerned about you if you ask her that out of nowhere. 🤣
she already knows I'm strange....although this could be next level. I asked regardless 🤣

Thank you so much. I'm sure Casper appreciates your willingness to ask strange questions for him. 🤣
I work with her. Today she kept going on about what if her neighbours had seen her sniffing her door 🤣 🤣 I suggested she could maybe have shut door & sniffed it from inside ..."oh yeah"
To human noses composite doors smell nothing like wood (y)

I work with her. Today she kept going on about what if her neighbours had seen her sniffing her door 🤣 🤣 I suggested she could maybe have shut door & sniffed it from inside ..."oh yeah"
To human noses composite doors smell nothing like wood (y)
Oh my god. 🤣 Please thank her for (unnecessarily 🤣) risking her neighbours' opinion of her for Casper. 😂
It's good to know they don't smell like wood to human noses. Bunny noses being of course much better, they'll no doubt be able to tell it's not wood, either, then.

Back