• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit-friendly outdoor furniture

Littlemeg37

Alpha Buck
I hope everyone's doing well and our furry friends are hopping happily.

I know we're off-season, but as they say, you must plan in winter what you want to do in summer.

So, I'm planning to revamp my backyard, and I'm searching for stylish and rabbit-proof outdoor furniture suggestions. I want to ensure my bunnies can safely enjoy their outdoor time without causing any damage to the furniture or, worse, injuring themselves.
Any recommendations on materials or specific brands you've found to be durable and resistant to rabbit nibbles would be greatly appreciated.

Weather-resistant, eco-friendly options catch my interest, too.
Pre-built or DIY furniture ideas are welcome.

1. To create a rabbit-friendly outdoor space, consider furniture made from durable, rodent-resistant materials like metal or certain types of treated wood, such as teak or cedar, which are less appealing for rabbits to gnaw on.
  2. Avoid soft materials like wicker or plastic that can be easily chewed.
  3. Also, look for furniture with smooth finishes and without hiding spots where rabbits could squeeze in and get hurt.
  4. Choose weather-resistant and eco-friendly options, such as furniture made from recycled or sustainable materials.

If you're into DIY projects, you can build sturdy benches or tables, using designs that prevent rabbits from accessing areas they might chew.

Thanks, uniquefat.
There are many options for weatherproof premium rattan garden furniture on the market. But is it certain that this cannot be gnawed by rabbits?
I have my eye on this corner set, which the seller claims is made from the most durable rattan furniture possible.

A lot of modern rattan furniture is made of plastic. Either way, there's no guarantee that it won't be chewed by rabbits. All I can suggest is that you protect the legs if the rabbits are likely to chew them (eg place the furniture legs in teracotta plant pots or pieces of plastic drainpipe). It's natural rabbit behaviour, so the only thing you can do is keep it out of their way to guarantee it won't get damaged - or accept that it will be chewed and choose accordingly eg solid wood, which will take a degree of damage and can be sanded down again.

Back