• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weaning bisc off profibre pellets u/d p37

Would be interested in your opinion, well Biscuit's really on the Oxbow. I bought 10 or so bags about 18 months, maybe 2 years ago as they were a ridiculously low price online. These have just run out and I have started on a new bag bought recently. None of the five, particularly Gabe and Spring are anywhere near as enthusiastic about them. I give them their pellets first thing - sometimes Gabe and Spring's are still there at teatime.

This is a point of interest with me...approximately how long can you store pellets for and still have them be viable to feed? I personally don't keep them for more than a few months, unopened. Once I break the seal, no longer than a month and most of the bag goes to waste that way but I think in our climate things go foul quicker. :(

This is a point of interest with me...approximately how long can you store pellets for and still have them be viable to feed? I personally don't keep them for more than a few months, unopened. Once I break the seal, no longer than a month and most of the bag goes to waste that way but I think in our climate things go foul quicker. :(

i keep them six months once opened. :wave:

Ooh - really interesting thread!
Am debating what to move mine on to when they get to old for junior pellets (soon!) so has been a really useful read
Glad bisc is better on his new diet

Before I bought the huge amount of Oxbow I did check the use by date on the then current bag. As there appears to be a long storage life I went ahead and bought several bags. My current delivery has a use by date of October 2015.

Oxbow is all we use here now. I've tried different brands with no success and a lot of waste. :(
Glad to hear it's got the Bisc stamp of approval! :thumb:

right, so it has been two weeks now since bisc started on one half teaspoon of oxbow. he's moved to two half teaspoons from this morning, so one morning and one evening, and then still one half teaspoon of profibre at bed time.

he didn't seem very impressed about it this morning :oops: but he still ate the oxbow of course ;)

so we'll see how he goes now with two oxbow and one profibre and take it from there. :)

eta: he's still having the timothy hay 'pellets' from galens garden aswell.

Last edited:
I can have Mimzy's favorite food sitting right in front of him and he'll still look up at me like, "What? This is all I get? Hmph!" And then he's foot flicking away from me. :?

He comes back and gobbles it up with gusto when he thinks I'm not looking. Silly boy. :roll:

Hoping Bisc continues to do well. :) xxxx

I can have Mimzy's favorite food sitting right in front of him and he'll still look up at me like, "What? This is all I get? Hmph!" And then he's foot flicking away from me. :?

He comes back and gobbles it up with gusto when he thinks I'm not looking. Silly boy. :roll:

Hoping Bisc continues to do well. :) xxxx

:lol: sounds like bisc sometimes. he looks at me basically saying he wants something different, but then grumpily eats what he's been given :lol::love:

he's just been very excited because i went outside to pick him some dandelions. :love:

bisc is like an addict with the profibre! just gave him his one and only half teaspoon for the day, and he was all frantic... then nipped me. so i jumped, the profibre went everywhere... and he stood looking at me like 'where are they'! :shock::lol: addict!

right, so it has been another two weeks tomorrow. i wouldn't say i'm concerned (yet) but bisc's weight is at the very lower end of his weight range now. so it does show how much the profibre kept his weight stable. i'm worried that if we now switch to the half teaspoon of oxbow at bedtime aswell, making three a day, that he will drop more weight. so i think we will keep the profibre at bedtime and work on increasing the oxbow instead. so i think we'll try a full teaspoon morning and evening now of the oxbow, and the half teaspoon of profibre at night and see how he gets on.

the good news is that i can't even remember the last time he had any excess cecals. :thumb:

eta: i have offered him brambles everyday for weeks now and he will not try them! so that idea is out i think :roll::lol:

Last edited:
As his tummy is now fine I would leave him on the half teaspoon of Profibre and see if his weight stabilises.

Not sure what protein level the oxbow contain, but that could be to blame of if it is lower than 13%.

protein says min 14%

i'll try increasing the oxbow then and keeping the profibre for now and see how he gets on. :wave:

I think Mimzy's stayed pretty stable without his pellets but he's quite sedentary. His weight is always up and down when we see his vet.
Glad to hear the excess cecals are gone. :thumb: Mimzy likes brambles okay but they seem to upset his tum more than help. :( The other two can't handle them at all. :(

Snuggles being sent for Bisc :love: xxxx

I think Mimzy's stayed pretty stable without his pellets but he's quite sedentary. His weight is always up and down when we see his vet.
Glad to hear the excess cecals are gone. :thumb: Mimzy likes brambles okay but they seem to upset his tum more than help. :( The other two can't handle them at all. :(

Snuggles being sent for Bisc :love: xxxx

maybe bisc knew the brambles wouldn't be right for him then.

i did give him echinacea petals and leaves last week and he was fine, so i gave him some more and it ended up being a bit too much so he was a little bit more dirty underneath but i've stopped those again now and lesson learned! he can have it but not too much.

he's doing well on more pellets aswell so hopefully we can get his weight back up a bit now. :thumb:

i passed on the snuggles. :love:

so quick update - bisc has been staying a stable weight on these current amounts, but it's the very lower end of his ideal weight range. i've now stopped the profibre completely and changed it to a teaspoon of oxbow. so he is now having three teaspoons of oxbow per day - morning, evening and night. i'm hoping this will bring his weight up slightly aswell.

in terms of his dirty underneath - he has not left a single excess cecal since i began this, which is amazing. but he is still not 100% clean underneath. it's mainly a little bit around his actual bum, but nothing further up now like there used to be. so i'm not really sure why he is still not 100% clean. but things are better than they were definitely.

he's also not had one tummy episode either since i began changing his diet around a bit. :thumb:

Well done bisc - sounds like it's working for him

My two have just started moving over to oxbow pellets with a fiba first stick supplement so hoping that works for them

Well done bisc - sounds like it's working for him

My two have just started moving over to oxbow pellets with a fiba first stick supplement so hoping that works for them

do you think the oxbow pellets smell a bit 'smoky'? :shock: like a smoky bacon crisp type of smell? :shock:

Back