• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry, another hay related question, really need some help please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
My bun moved inside the week before Christmas and he seems really happy with his new living arrangements.

Now he has never been a big hay eater but did enjoy readigrass. The first week indoors, he didn't eat much hay but continued with the readigrass but the last few days, he's barely touched either.

He seems fine in himself, still eats his pellets and some dandelion/oat grass stuff. But how can I get him to eat the hay? I'm despairing to be honest, I've tried so many different types.

He had a vet check up just before Christmas when he had his injection and his teeth were fine.

Any suggestions, pleeeeease xxx

You can try stuffing empty toilet rolls with hay and hiding treats in it so its more like a toy, you could also mix forage into his hay so that he searches out the tasty bits and might just eat some hay too...I sprinkly plantain into my lots hay boxes as all 8 go mad for it! :thumb:

Also I have seen it said alot on here that a bunny friend often helps with getting them to eat hay :)

Maybe you are giving him too many pellets so he isn't hungry enough after a meal to fill up on the hay.

He had a vet check up just before Christmas when he had his injection and his teeth were fine.

Any suggestions, pleeeeease xxx

Did the vet check his back teeth with a scope? Most vets can't usually see the back teeth clearly and there may be spurs or mis-allignment. Usually the molars can only be seen properly under GA.

Also be very careful about monitoring his weight if you do try to cut down his pellets. My Pebbles still refused hay when I cut down pellets and lost loads of weight and went into stasis very quickly. He never ate much hay, even after his molars were burred. He does like hay cookies, ready grass and dry herbs, so maybe try these. Also pebbles loved the Green oat, wheat & barley hay from The hay experts, but still doesn't eat a lot. He is now actually attempting the Ings hay occasionally.

It's worth weighing your bun regularly as weight loss can be one of the first signs of teeth problems, before the dribbling mouth and refusal of pellets.

I've cut down on his pellets, he only has a small bowl in the morning but to be honest I'm afraid to cut them back any more as it doesn't appear to have any impact on his hay consumption and don't want him to get hungry.

I've ordered a couple of different hays from various on line stores but have to wait for them to come, our local pet shops only have the ones he's already tried.

Not sure what else I can do, he will eat a dandelion forage mix which I buy from Wilkinsons, does anyone know if this is ok for him?

Thanks everyone xx

Have you tried hand feeding it? Some bunnies assume anything you hand them must be a treat :lol: Tickling his whiskers with it til he gets annoyed and grabs it can work too, or dipping each piece in apple juice... just until you've got them into the habit of eating it.

Fresh grass is the other option, it can be used instead of hay.

I've cut down on his pellets, he only has a small bowl in the morning but to be honest I'm afraid to cut them back any more as it doesn't appear to have any impact on his hay consumption and don't want him to get hungry.

I've ordered a couple of different hays from various on line stores but have to wait for them to come, our local pet shops only have the ones he's already tried.

Not sure what else I can do, he will eat a dandelion forage mix which I buy from Wilkinsons, does anyone know if this is ok for him?

Thanks everyone xx

An eggcupful of pellets a day is recommended amount, so I would gradually cut back to that.
He won't eat hay if he is full of pellets - like children won't eat their dinner if they are full of sweets.
Hay is the most important part of his diet - 80-90%.
Perhaps he'll like the ones you have ordered.

ETA I gave the same advice on your other hay thread - about persevering with the hay as it is so important. Thought this thread seemed a bit familiar.

Last edited:
An eggcupful of pellets a day is recommended amount, so I would gradually cut back to that.
He won't eat hay if he is full of pellets - like children won't eat their dinner if they are full of sweets.
Hay is the most important part of his diet - 80-90%.
Perhaps he'll like the ones you have ordered.

ETA I gave the same advice on your other hay thread - about persevering with the hay as it is so important. Thought this thread seemed a bit familiar.

Sorry, I know i'm repeating myself!!! Will keep trying xx

Sorry, I know i'm repeating myself!!! Will keep trying xx

Sorry - didn't mean anything nasty: just that as I was typing my post, it all seemed a bit familiar. Much better to keep asking for advice if you're worried or don't feel you are 'getting anywhere'.

He won't change his eating habits overnight - he'll need to be hungry to eat hay - don't give up, it will definitely be worth it in the end!

Sorry - didn't mean anything nasty: just that as I was typing my post, it all seemed a bit familiar. Much better to keep asking for advice if you're worried or don't feel you are 'getting anywhere'.

He won't change his eating habits overnight - he'll need to be hungry to eat hay - don't give up, it will definitely be worth it in the end!

No offence taken, I just know that sometimes I go on a bit!!!!! I will keep trying, thanks for your advice xx

Another thing I just thought of was the alfafa wreaths. Most buns love tearing them apart.

Also, where do you put his hay? I found if I put hay in racks or baskets, none of mine would touch the hay. It had to be in their litter tray or in a cardboard box (which they would then also pee in!) As soon as I tried to put the hay in a container to stop them weeing on it, they wouldn't eat it. Also, once it has been trodden down, weed and pood on, then I have to put more fresh hay in the litter tray again. It means a lot gets wasted (which is why I buy in bulk now :lol:)

Back