• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Your invaluable help is needed

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
I swore I wouldnt come back but I really need your guys invaluable knowledge!

One of our rescue buns with 7 kits (at 3 weeks) has developed a constant sneeze and has weepy/red eyes.

I have checked her genitals and they seems swollen (almost like she has plums)

She is still eating but panting heavily (which is not uncommon for her tbf) she is bright but not as fiesty as she normally is,

She was fine this morning, she got caught on a sticky fly catcher that my son had knocked off and went on a mad flight around the garden/shed, she calmed rapidly and was fine when we put her away,

Now is she showing signs of myxi?

I do hope not :(

I really hope so too?

Do I separate her from her babies and keep her well out the way of the others?

Ive never had any dealings with myxi ever (only rabbits ive seen in the wild) so really only know about it. (edited as in my state of panic im not making much sense)

Thank you Jane

I would not separate her at this moment in time. But she does need to be seen by a Vet tonight who, to be honest, will probably suggest PTS assuming the Doe is unvaccinated.

The Kits should be eating solids now ?? If the worst happens for the Doe then it is possible for the Kits to survive. As to whether they are already incubating Myxi remains to be seen. They might have developed a passive immunity from the Doe, which could last for about 5 weeks

Nothing I can add of any value other than to say that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mum and babies. Really hope it's not myxi.

Thank you for replies,

She has now gone to the bridge, it was myxi :'(

Babies all look ok at the mo, just need to keep a close eye on her

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that :cry:. Sending (((vibes))) for the babies - really hope they'll be OK.

Back