• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Advice Needed. Post Castration

Rosie222

New Kit
Hi Every one. Im new to this forum as i'm having a very stressful night!

On thursday my baby bunny got castrated. Everything was fine, he started eating shortly after. He just returned happy as usual. I kept him indoor's for 2 days and I didn't handle him or let him out to play at the vets advice.

Yesterday I noticed his urine was a bit pink, i showed my mum and she said it didn't look like blood just a funny colour. About two hours ago, he went for a nap on my mum's bed and i went in to check on him and he was lying next to lots and lots of urine which was very dark red.

I've never had a rabbit before and even after reading book after book and article after article i've learnt every rabbit is different! I've been searching online for the last hour and came across many of articles to say beta creotene causes darkness in the urine and that blood is very hard to see. I have checked his bits and there is no swelling or blood.

Has anybody had this before? I have no idea what to do apart from ring the vet in the morning :( Any advice would be appreciated!!

I am not an expert, but i have read a few threads from people saying that their bunnies pee can vary greatly in colour.

Does bun seem ok otherwise? Is he eating, pooing, drinking well? Does he seem his normal self?

Has he had a lot of carrot or dandelion? That made Leo's wee go a really strange red-ish colour and I too freaked out :)

Thanks everyone.

Well i've read about darker urine but because he's in a outdoor hutch and also litter trained i haven't really noticed it before.

He doesn't like carrots but he has had a few dandelions!!
'
I think I am just over reacting because he's eating normal, poo'ing lots as usual, he's running around up and down the stairs and he's following the dogs around like normal.

I will keep an eye on him next few days i think

Yes, i would say that if he seems to be acting normal then i would just keep an eye.

Hope he is ok.

They can be a worry at times (well most times!)

I don't have any personal experience of this but from what I have read, blood in the urine shows up as normal coloured urine with distinct "patches" (not quite the right word but I can't think of one) of blood within it. Urine that is a uniform red colour all through is more likely to be "dyed" by something he's eaten - apple twigs can turn the urine dark.

If his wound is a normal colour and not hot or inflamed he should be ok. If you're worried though it would be worth phoning your vet and describing the situation, then they can tell you whether you should bring him in to be checked or not :) hope he's ok xx

Yes, i would say that if he seems to be acting normal then i would just keep an eye.

Hope he is ok.

They can be a worry at times (well most times!)

Well as i say, i've never had a rabbit before, even though i did heaps of reading and research beforehand i'm still learning so much! All i do is worry! I panicked when i realised he didn't like carrots!

The reason i got him neutered is because he's lonely. He does play with the dogs and the cats but he still sleeps alone and ideally I want to rescue a girlfriend for him. I didn't know it's best to buy them in pairs otherwise i would have :cry:

I don't have any personal experience of this but from what I have read, blood in the urine shows up as normal coloured urine with distinct "patches" (not quite the right word but I can't think of one) of blood within it. Urine that is a uniform red colour all through is more likely to be "dyed" by something he's eaten - apple twigs can turn the urine dark.

If his wound is a normal colour and not hot or inflamed he should be ok. If you're worried though it would be worth phoning your vet and describing the situation, then they can tell you whether you should bring him in to be checked or not :) hope he's ok xx

Thats exactly what i've been reading. But I'm just so worried. I will ring them tomorrow just incase, more than likely get him checked out for my piece of mind! Thanks for that :D

I had this same query earlier in the year a few days after my Cookie had been done. I came on this forum and got great advice and yes it was because of what he'd been eating, my vets confirmed the same. Could be too much greens or just a certain type, my buns wee goes red especially after beans and parsley, herbs dried or otherwise. Just keep an eye on it but hopefully will be fine. There was a thread yesterday I think it was titled 'Red Wee' and that will probably put your mind at rest.:wave:

I had this same query earlier in the year a few days after my Cookie had been done. I came on this forum and got great advice and yes it was because of what he'd been eating, my vets confirmed the same. Could be too much greens or just a certain type, my buns wee goes red especially after beans and parsley, herbs dried or otherwise. Just keep an eye on it but hopefully will be fine. There was a thread yesterday I think it was titled 'Red Wee' and that will probably put your mind at rest.:wave:

Ahh Thanks. I will check it out. This forum is great! I wish i had of found it earlier....just reading about bonding atm!

I can sleep peacefully tonight :D

Yes it is great!!
I had great advice on here when I bonded Cookie and Honey in May. Don't think it would have worked as well without the great advice from Ru members who took me through it step by step even offering great advice during the bonding process and putting my mind at ease that all was well. Good luck:wave:

Back