• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You've heard this one a million times I bet!!!

Which bedding/litter????????

Bella has had a respiratory problem for some time now and is been treated by a lovely rabbit savvy vet.

My problem is, what the heck do I bed her on, wood shavings NO NO. megazorb, good but small bits seem to stick to her snotty nose through the night, just tried carefresh and I like it, I know it's expensive but the pieces are big so don't stick to her but i've just read that even this causes allergies although I wouldn't really know that yet.

Never used aubiose, hemcore or finacard but i'd like some feedback if anyone has ever used or still uses these types of bedding.

I think hay and straw are a bit too dusty to fill the run and hutch with unless you can be absolutely confident that when you open the bag or bale that it's not going to be dusty hay/straw.

please gimme some feedback peeps, I want to make life as comfortable as possible for my little babybel as she could have this terrible illness for the foreseable.
:(:rabbit2::love:

Which bedding/litter????????

Bella has had a respiratory problem for some time now and is been treated by a lovely rabbit savvy vet.

My problem is, what the heck do I bed her on, wood shavings NO NO. megazorb, good but small bits seem to stick to her snotty nose through the night, just tried carefresh and I like it, I know it's expensive but the pieces are big so don't stick to her but i've just read that even this causes allergies although I wouldn't really know that yet.

Never used aubiose, hemcore or finacard but i'd like some feedback if anyone has ever used or still uses these types of bedding.

I think hay and straw are a bit too dusty to fill the run and hutch with unless you can be absolutely confident that when you open the bag or bale that it's not going to be dusty hay/straw.

please gimme some feedback peeps, I want to make life as comfortable as possible for my little babybel as she could have this terrible illness for the foreseable.
:(:rabbit2::love:

i use a bale of hay from a farm and its not dusty like the bags usually are and is long and stalky, i use wooden cat litter pellets or wood chips(dust extrqacated tehnput a thick layer of newspaper on top then a layer of hay on top of that i find wthout a layer of "absorbing material" underneath that its too ssoggy by end of day in a litter tray despite them being cleaned daily, maybe try wooden cat litter or newspaper? x

Awwhh, poor little Bella! I hope the vet will be able to make her a bit more comfortable.

Do you use bedding throughout the whole hutch/cage/whatever she's in?

I had a problem trying to find bedding that doesn't stick to my fuzzy bunny's fur and couldn't find anything but Carefresh and that was just too expensive. Now I've comprimised and use Megazorb and hay in the litter tray and hay in the bed areas - everything else is lino'd. Winter time I'll pop some fleece blankets or old towels on the floor for extra warmth.

Maybe that might be worth a try with Bella if she's litter trained?

Thanks for that, newspaper would be an option to try as long as she doesn't chew it as I think the ink can be poisonous.

I have used the wood litter before, I forgot about that as it's not dusty at all is it, just fairly expensive for a small bag.

the ink is no longer ment to be toxic, but the glues used when recycling the paper isnt the best, problem with newspaper is that the wee just sits on top for a while so you could get urine stained feets

doc has respitory probs he always has sneezing attacts when i clean them out but it settles after,

i agree with others on bale hay rather than bagged hay, if you have the storage space, in hot weathe some people spray it a bit to dampen so the dust sticks, ive found bale hay the least dusty of the lot even crappy p@h dust free hay isnt dust free at all

you just tried old towels and blankets nd hay just in a small litter tray and basket

These are really good, helpful tips guys, thanks.

Yeah Bella is litter trained so I guess I could go with the wood litter under some baled hay in her tray. towels on her floor which is concrete so I had hay down before and I could just stuff towels in her hutch as she doesn't potty in there at all.

(I have a big stack of bunny towels, infact, they have more than we do!)

xx:lol:

These are really good, helpful tips guys, thanks.

Yeah Bella is litter trained so I guess I could go with the wood litter under some baled hay in her tray. towels on her floor which is concrete so I had hay down before and I could just stuff towels in her hutch as she doesn't potty in there at all.

(I have a big stack of bunny towels, infact, they have more than we do!)

xx:lol:

i use towels too in bedroom area they snuggle on that even in warm weather guess its comfy as rest in lino and our run is on concrete underneath too, i intend to use lots straw and fleece blankets in run in winter and lots straw in hutch i use megazorb now but used to use carefresh its great but expensive so switched to megazorb for trays as recommended on here but bit suprised how small it is really i like carefresh cause its big and they dont eat it :lol: its all trial and error with these buns in your case i would try wood litter just a sprinkling as its very absorbent and then loads hay then soft hay for rest of areas and towels, we have lots towels for them now too :lol::lol:

i am just wondering what to use in run now as they have nothing but bare concrete with it being hot?

I put loads of hay on top of the megazorb otherwise it sticks to my fluffy Nutmeg and Smudge.

Back