• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Xena is in pain. U/D Looking brighter, now we have poo problems!

I hope it's something she can get sorted quickly and be back to herself. She's lucky to have an owner who knows her so well.

Zoobec I use a dogcrate for the Contis but it's soooo heavy given that they weigh 10 kilos together (or maybe more now).

Sending lots of vibes for Xena xx Are you taking the whole trio to the vets together?! I need a quad sized carrier for vets visits now :shock:

I was just going to take Xena on her own. She would be the problem on reintroducing them, but if she's the one that's been to the vets then I think she will just be happy to get back to the other two. I also don't know if she'll need an xray or something. :( My carrier is not trio-sized. :lol: I bought it not long ago, but I'm definitely going to have to upgrade it. :roll: It was the biggest one I could find and I had to buy it from P@H :evil: It's a perfect size for Fiver and Xena, but a third bun would make it rather crowded. Think I'll have to resort to looking online for bigger carriers.

I was just going to take Xena on her own. She would be the problem on reintroducing them, but if she's the one that's been to the vets then I think she will just be happy to get back to the other two. I also don't know if she'll need an xray or something. :( My carrier is not trio-sized. :lol: I bought it not long ago, but I'm definitely going to have to upgrade it. :roll: It was the biggest one I could find and I had to buy it from P@H :evil: It's a perfect size for Fiver and Xena, but a third bun would make it rather crowded. Think I'll have to resort to looking online for bigger carriers.

It might do the other two good to have some bonding time together anyway. I think I might have to look for a small dog crate :roll:

The Ferplast Atlas 50 was recommended on here for 2 Contis, so it's probably big enough for 3/4 regular buns. I've still not actually seen one in real life though. On ebay they are all collect only so I have a watch on for one near me if it ever comes up.

Thank you Sam and Truffs, I will definitely look into that. :)

It looks like Xena has mites. (Breathes sigh of relief!) They are very deep in her ear, but hopefully the ivermec injection will help. She has to go beck next week for another jab, and then she should be ok. The vet was concerned about E.C because she looks a bit "wonky", I explained that she has always looked like that, so we are going to see if the ivermec works, and if she looks any more "wonky" then to take her back ASAP. Poor Xena, I have always called her my wonky bunny. :lol: This is a new vet that I have only seen a few times with Shadowfax, but she really is amazing. :love: I asked her to listen to Xena's chest because she has been snoring more loudly and more often, she had a really good listen and said she sounds perfectly fine, but if anything changes to pop her back. :)

Xena is now munching hay with the other two. She looks so silly with both of her ears lopped, I hope her uppy one rights itself soon!

That's good news then. Hopefully that's it then, just one more jab!

They must have been irritating for her.

I am hoping this is what has caused all the problems with her being "off". It must have been very uncomfortable for her, but not sure if this would explain her poos being a bit iffy and her teeth grinding a few weeks ago. Anyway, she is happily munching hay but still shaking her head occasionally.

I am wondering if she will be more prone to this? She has been treated before for suspected ear mites, but it was just flaky/dry skin, and she wasn't itchy or irritated by it. She was treated as a precaution, but this was a while ago now. I am worried that stress has brought it on, but tbh when the symptoms started, she had no reason to be stressed. I would say the bonding process has probably made things worse for her and accelerated the problem. I wish I'd gone with my guts and taken her to the vet when I suspected something wrong in the first place.

Can it be contagious?

I think it is contagious. Not sure how contagious though but I guess if xena has contact with another rabbit then the mites can go to that rabbit.

Oh no...this might be very expensive. :( Both Shadowfax and Fiver seem to be perfectly ok. I have had rats in the past that suffered terribly with mites, but their cage-mates never had a problem. :? I think a bit of research is needed!

Yes have a look. It may be like when we have a cold or chicken pox, it's contagious but doesn't mean the other person is going to get it!

With rats, they get mites when they're stressed or their immune system is a bit low, Badger had them after bonding him with Trev and Derek and it was just the stress of a change so you might find the bond has just been a bit harder on her because Shadowfax is female (whilst Fiver admires his new hareem and rubs his paws together ;) )

With rats, they get mites when they're stressed or their immune system is a bit low, Badger had them after bonding him with Trev and Derek and it was just the stress of a change so you might find the bond has just been a bit harder on her because Shadowfax is female (whilst Fiver admires his new hareem and rubs his paws together ;) )

:lol: Yeh, he was pretty pleased having two does!

I would normally think that, but she has been "off" since before I bonded them, but only sometimes. :? Just hope there's nothing else going on!

I had a read on MediRabbit, but it doesn't mention about ear mites being contagious unless the ears have crusted and te crusts start to fall off. I'm presuming, therefore, that they aren't. It also doesn't mention about it being related to anything else. It just says that if a rabbit is ill/stressed and has a lowered immune system, the mites can spread over the body.

Glad it's nothing really serious, hope you get rid of the mites quickly :thumb:

I'm glad it's an easily treatable thing. When Floppy had them he was miserable and off his food but the injection worked very quickly and i couldn't believe how quickly he perked up again. He is part of a quad but was the only one affected.

Thank you. Yes, she is looking very miserable. She's been very grumpy too since coming back from the vets. :( She's been sitting away from the other two and looking very sorry for herself. Hoping that the ivermec kicks in soon and she feels better. I don't like seeing my girl looking so sad. :(

Back