• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do we bother with homechecks?

I feel so bad I've only just had a home check done. But I promise to look after my animals no matter what, I could never neglect my duties.

I was going to clean Charlie out for the home check and sweep out the run but decided against it, as you prefer to see Charlie as he would have been if someone wasn't coming out to see him.

Can't believe someone would neglect an animal they had taken the time to rehome, what planet aren't they on?

Don't despair, Donna. :) Remember that most people who go to a rescue and pay the donation to adopt bunnies, have made an effort to research if there are rescues and what is needed to pass a homecheck, etc.. You won't get many bad people coming your way. Most of your animals have gone to great homes.

That reminds me that I wanted to e-mail the family that adopted Diggory and his sisters. Would be nice to get an update and a recent photo. :)

That must make your blood boil but it really isn't your fault. I think sometimes instinct/gut feeling on a person is more important that the exact size of hutches etc... but I guess you just never can tell.

I do spot checks, i tell the people at their home check that i will call back. the first time is a few weeks after they have the buns (they know when i amcoming for this one)

but then i turn up at random after that, if they cant agree to that they i don't let them have the bun.

You can only take people on face value they can promise the earth doesn't mean that you gonna get it.

On a lighter note Bonnie has been abusing me ever since she got here, i was toooo slow giving her her apple last night and i have the injury to prove it!:lol:

Donna if you didn't do your wonderful job bonnie would not have a soft touch two foot to bully!:oops:

It must be really depressing but do remeber. That's 4 bunnys out of the hundreds that you rehome each year. The rest have found good and loving homes through you.

Other than having a spot 6 monthly homecheck I don't know that there is much else that you can do and that is expensive in terms of time and money.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble :( It is astounding to me that someone would make the effort to pass the homecheck then neglect the buns anyway :? what is going on in their heads?

I do think homechecks are important though, if only to make sure the adopter *knows* what to do even if you cant be sure they'll act on it - which is marginally better than not even knowing the basics.

I know you're pushed for resources but couldnt you carry out, or threaten to carry out, random follow up checks to see the buns are being cared for properly. my local did that whe i got sorrel cos i hadnt finished building the run yet and i dont think they trusted me!

awww poor bunnies - I have to say I kept all mine because the anxiety about their futures was too much for me - even if I'd found good homes for all my piggies, people's lives change pretty fast and frequently these days. I think if you rehome you just have to hope for the best - maybe a follow-up phone call every 6 months would be a good idea? :?

I was just talking to my local rescue last night and they had a bunny put to sleep at the weekend, because it was in such state. They had sent it to a really good home, and quite a long time down after they came back with this bunny saying they could no longer keep it. It had severe incontinence, and poo problems. It was half it's proper weight, and it had to live in its own filth all the time despite the rescue bathing it. The rabbit could have been treated if the people who had adopted it had looked after it, but they left it for month and months and by this time it was too late. The rescue spent so much time and money trying to save this bunny, and in the end it was just too late. Binky free Petra bun x

I was just talking to my local rescue last night and they had a bunny put to sleep at the weekend, because it was in such state. They had sent it to a really good home, and quite a long time down after they came back with this bunny saying they could no longer keep it. It had severe incontinence, and poo problems. It was half it's proper weight, and it had to live in its own filth all the time despite the rescue bathing it. The rabbit could have been treated if the people who had adopted it had looked after it, but they left it for month and months and by this time it was too late. The rescue spent so much time and money trying to save this bunny, and in the end it was just too late. Binky free Petra bun x

I'm surprised that someone who has gone to all that effort to adopt rather than just buy from a pet shop would neglect a bunny so badly. Beyond belief and so sad :cry:

that makes me so sad, i dont understand how people can get on with their lives and know that their pet is suffering and not be bothered enough to keep it checked and healthy let alone give it any love or attention. some people are so selfish and heartless :(:(:cry:

this is the very reason that i could not be a successful rescue - i would be suspicious of everyone :)shock:. not a good trait, i know!). you all do such a fab job and theres no way you could tell if someone was going to change from a good bunny owner to a bad one. none of you can beat yourself up about the fact that some people are very good at deceiving or are just easily bored with their new buns and then neglect them. you are all doing a wonderful job and should be really proud of the fantastic homes that you have found for the most of your buns. x

:( That's dreadful.

Luckily I keep in touch with Nicola3 on this forum although she hasn't been to see Fia much since I adopted her but she sees the updates I put on here since I adopted her. She will be seeing her in 2 weeks time though because she is bringing Alice for me to bond with Winter. YAY!

Anyway, I adopted Zion from a local rescue (well it's actually about a 45min drive from me but local-ish) and I haven't really contacted them since (and I didn't even have a home check - I just brought pictures along of the hutch/run etc). This thread has inspired me to print off some pics of Zion and to send it to them to let them know he is ok and being well looked after.

Good luck with all your other bunnies you rehome. All you rescues do a fantastic job!

This is the letter I am sending them:

Dear Animals in Distress,

I just want to write to you just to update you on one of the rabbits I adopted from you on 20th July 2006. His name is Zion, he is a mini-rex and his Animal Number was Zion AP8347.

He came to you after being dumped at your vets in a cardboard box where the owners left a note to say they could not care for him any longer due to them moving to a smaller property.

Zion has been living under my care since July 2006 and is a real darling. He got it together with his girlbun, Fia (a black Rex), in November 2006 and they have been inseparable since. Fia is also a rescue bun, but not from yourselves. She is an ex-breeder bun where the breeder was quite happy to ‘get rid’ of her by breaking her neck as she was no longer any ‘use’ to him. Luckily she was saved and has been spayed and lives with Zion in their children’s playhouse with an attached 6ftx4ft run.

Both are vaccinated regularly (myxi bi-annually and VHD annually) and wormed twice a year. They have lots of hay to eat all the time, small amount of pellets daily and veggies for tea.

They are also boarded with Melanie @ Bobtail Bunnies! When we go on holiday they go on holiday too!

I just thought as you obviously work so hard and are unable to follow up all of the animals you rehome this would be something nice for you to see and a reward for all of the hard work you do.

Please find enclosed 2 pictures of Zion, 1 with his girlbun, just so you can see for yourself how happy he is.

Thank you and good luck with all your future work in animal rescue.

Siobhan O’Sullivan

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: why dont people keep the promises they make to the animals :(

Aww sorry you feel like this. It is so frustrating - some people :evil:
I wish people understood that animals are a responsibilty and that this responsibilty should be taken seriously.

I adopted Audrey from Mandy and she visited us just after Christmas and I send her pictures and keep in touch with weekly updates.

All you rescues do an amazing job.
I admire all the great work you do.

Back